I know many of us are at that awkward stage in our lives between being a teenager and adult, more popularly referred to as college. We don't know what we want to do or where we want to go. Our holy grail is a Thursday night out, and life is just plain messy.

It seems that people in this age range are so desperate to be seen as mature or older, yet their actions argue otherwise.

How many times have you been out for the evening and met someone that you really enjoyed talking to, sometimes so much so that the two of you exchanged numbers? (I know I'm not the only one who wakes up with seven new contacts after a night out.)

If you're like me, you probably have their contact saved as something along the lines of, "Jenna (Girl I met in the bathroom at O'Malls)." But still, nine times out of ten, you remember their face when you see them even if you can't recall their name at the drop of a hat.

SO, this leads me to the MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: what is so wrong with acknowledging that you know someone?

I know it's daylight, and I look like I just crawled out of a sewer on Line St., but I know you, and I know based on your awkward glance that you know me, too.

On several occasions, college students seem to be stuck in this endless rut of, "Do I say hi," OR, "How long do I have to stare down at my phone without tripping until they're out of my line of vision?"

Why, though?

The way you treat people matters, and if someone is waving at you, at least have the common courtesy to wave back and pretend like you know who they are. I do it all the time. There is nothing wrong with being friendly.

Maybe they thought you were someone else. (Never mind the fact that they definitely follow you on Instagram.) But maybe you made a strong enough impression on them for them to want to say hello or potentially hang out. You never know who you will meet and the places you'll go by exercising basic kindness.

Anyone in college knows how cliquey it can still be, especially at a small school. I promise you will live through talking to someone that you didn't meet in the dorms as a freshman.

If you made it this far and only take one thing away from this, just acknowledge people. I will take an awkward side wave over being ignored any day.