Know about Pap Smear Test

Know about Pap Smear Test

Pap Smear Test

8
Know about Pap Smear Test

Cervical cancer is regarded as the second most common type of cancer among females. In India 77,000 women’s die every year due to cervical cancer. To prevent huge mortalities there is a need of awareness among females regarding it. More and more screening for human papilloma virus is required and vaccination that protects against human papilloma virus infection is to be done in large amounts.

Cervical cancer occurs in the lower part of the female uterus known as the cervix. The screening tests that are capable of detecting precancerous conditions are known as the Pap test or the Pap smear test. Human Papilloma Virus is a virus that is known to cause warts and it is associated to increase the risks of cervical cancer. Generally, the Human Papilloma Virus type 16 and type 18 are known to cause cervical cancer and thus there is a high chance to get cervical cancer if one is infected with Human Papilloma Virus.

Pap smear test generally, identifies any cellular changes in the cervices that could be caused due to Human Papilloma Virus. But it is possible to test for the presence of Human Papilloma Virus through Pap smear. However, the test does not detects sexually transmitted infections.

What happens in a Pap smear test?

For undergoing Pap test the female should not be having periods as it might affect the accuracy of the tests. The Pap test make take a time of 10 to 20 minutes.

In a Pap test the gynaecologist shall place a plastic tool into the vagina to help the vaginal walls to open. Then a swab shall be used to collect the cell samples of the cervix which are collected in a small jar and sent to the laboratory for review. The pap smear test is generally a painless procedure but some may feel discomfort. It is highly essential to stay calm and feel relaxed so as to allow the pap smear to go inside smoothly.

Whom to consult for Pap test?

It is recommended to consult to an expert Gynecologists. Gynecologists are experts in the women health especially the female reproductive system and its health. The gynecologists address wide female health issues like pregnancy, fertility, menstruation, infection, sexually transmitted infections, female hormonal disorders, menopause, etc.

On the other hand, those gynaecologists who help in child delivery are also the once those have expertise in obstetrics and are known as OB-GYN. Thus, before getting a Pap test it is necessary to know about your health expert expertise and get the right consultation advices.

There are numerous registered and experienced gynecologists in Delhi who provide Pap test screening. The cost of the Pap Smear test varies from region to region and can range from INR 300/- to INR 2000/-. It is highly essential that you get full details of the test through your health expert before undergoing the test.

Results of Pap Smear Test

The results of Pap Smear test will take time. It can take a time of two to eight weeks to come. The outcome of the result is interpreted as normal or abnormal.

If the result is normal it signifies that there is no precancerous cells on the cervix. On the other hand, if the results are abnormal it may indicate the following:

⮚Inflammation of the cells

⮚Human Papilloma virus infection

⮚Presence of cancer or pre-cancerous stage

Pap Smear Test is a safe test and has no pain. But it is prone to high false negative rates as there is a possibility of missing some abnormal cells during the test. Hence, for cervical screening pap smear test is one such test, biopsy and other tests are conducted to rule out cervical cancer.

How often one should repeat Pap Smear test?

This is generally decided as per the patient condition by the health expert. In general, for the age of 21 to 65 the test must be carried out once in 3 years.

Women who are sexually active, are having multiple sexual partners, have family history of cervical cancer, are facing issue of recurrent cervical cancer require the Pap smear test.

Takeaway:

For a sound health it is essential for females to visit their gynecologist regularly. This ensures a healthy reproductive health. The regular visits must start from the age of 13. Gynercologist may help you in screening your health problems and such regular visits may help you to reduce the risks of cervical cancer or breast cancer. Right tests and right treatment is crucial and this can be given through right expert advice. Delaying any problem can increase risks of infection and health problems and thus, it is recommended to consult your health experts regularly. Females are prone to cervical cancer risks and getting a pap smear can help in screening and detecting cancer causing cells. Getting frequent and regular pap smear test can provide the right picture of your health and can help you to get right course of treatment if necessary.

Cervical cancer occurs in the lower part of the female uterus known as the cervix. The screening tests that are capable of detecting precancerous conditions are known as the Pap test or the Pap smear test