Don't Say Kim Kardashian Asked For It

Don't Say Kim Kardashian Asked For It

When you say she asked to be robbed at gunpoint, what are you really saying?
6

On Monday mornings when I'm super bored in religion class I catch up on my celebrity news and gossip.

I'm a horrible person, I know.

This past Monday, I went to Facebook's "Trending" sidebar, as usual. I wasn't at all surprised to see Kim Kardashian West's name at the top of the list, because seriously, it's always either her or Kylie these days. I clicked her name, expecting the story trending focus on her butt or a cute Instagram of North.

"Kim Kardashian Robbed of Millions Worth of Jewelry At Gunpoint."

Wait, what?!

I quickly scrolled through an E! article which revealed that on Sunday night, armed robbers broke into Kim K's hotel room and stole all her jewelry after binding her hands and feet while pointing a gun at her, while she plead for her life. Reps said she was "shaken but physically unharmed."

My reaction was first shock and then sympathy. Imagine being held at gunpoint late at night in your own hotel room. That's terrifying for literally anyone, regardless of public reputation celebrity status or economic status.

Curious, I read the comments on the article, and it soon became clear my sympathetic reaction did not match most other people's.
"She was asking for it."
"Haha, teaches her a lessons!"
"Should of pulled the trigger."

She ASKED for it?
Where have we heard THIS said before?

Oh, yeah. Rape cases. How many times have we read on sites like Odyssey about how awful it is to say the girl "asked for it" when she was raped because of what she was wearing or how much she was drinking? I think we're all pretty much in agreement that wearing a top with cleavage or a short skirt is not ASKING to be raped.

So how is wearing expensive jewelry and having one's wealth known "asking" to be robbed at gunpoint? If I one night decide to wear diamond earrings, am I asking to be robbed, too?

People laugh about Kim getting robbed because of her reputation of being self-absorbed and shallow. I have a pretty good sense of humor, but I don't think a wife, mother, and overall human being getting taped up and a gun pointed at her head is funny. I think it's horrifying. Honestly, I'm just thankful her children weren't in that hotel room -- can you imagine a 3 year old witnessing that?

And to the people who say the robbers should have pulled the trigger: Do you even realize what you're saying? You're saying that this innocent human being, whose only "wrongdoings" involve making a sex tape and having a reality show, should have been murdered. You're saying an innocent mother should have been shot dead in her hotel room. Let that sink in.

Kim Kardashian isn't perfect. In fact, she's far from it. But really, is ANYONE perfect? Does anyone deserve to be robbed at gun point? Instead of instantly blaming herself, laughing, or making crude statements, let's pause and say, how would we feel if this happened to us?