Killing Cops Won't Fix Police Brutality

Killing Cops Won't Fix Police Brutality

It's okay to be mad, but stop trying to get even
8

Recently, there has been a major with police brutality. Many of innocent lives, mostly black lives, have been cut short because of irresponsibility, poor judgement, and even racism. Many officers in these cases have been found not guilty, and were able to walk free while they have caused grief to many families. Recently, many people have started to retaliate to police brutality by targeting cops. Not the cops responsible for the lives lost, but innocent cops. Cops that have absolutely nothing to do with what people are angry about. 5 Dallas police officers were killed two weeks ago. They were killed as payback to someone else’s irresponsibility. For someone else’s action, 5 people were taken away from their families way too early. A lot of people think that because an innocent life was lost because of police brutality, that an innocent cop’s life should be taken as well. Philando Castile and Alton Sterling are dead. They are gone and it hurts. 5 cops are dead as payback. Was it worth it? 7 people are now gone. 7 sets of families and friends are mourning and grieving. Did losing the 5 cops change the police brutality? Is killing cops truly proactive in order to end police brutality?

So many people are angry with cops. I get it. I’m angry at the cops who pull over family friends simply because they are black. I’m angry at the cops who believe that anyone who looks like my father or my brother is suspicious. Believe me, I’m angry at the cops who believe that killing someone who is trying to get their license out is justifiable. I’m angry at the cop who shot Alton Sterling while he was on the ground unable to move. I’m angry. It is okay to be angry. But violence isn’t the answer.

When people think about racial injustice, people only think about police brutality. That’s half of it. Think about what happened with Freddie Grey, all of his cops were set free. We were angry at the cops. Did we ever stop and think about who was to blame? Sure, it was the cops involved who did the damage, but what about our court system? We have been to busy being mad and angry at those cops who hurt us, that we have rarely questioned our judicial system. When Trayvon Martin’s killer was found innocent, sure we were super angry with Zimmerman, but for some reason I never remember anyone being angry with the jurors or the judicial system. I’m not saying it is a good idea to target all judges or jurors. But the blame can’t be solely put on every single police officer. The people to blame are those involved. Not those who are completely innocent. Those officers who are being innocently killed does not effect the cop who killed Philando. Killing each other will not solve anything. Killing each other will simply increase the problem. Killing each other increases the negativity and hatred in the world. It is so easy to find someone to blame and seek revenge, but does it help?