Why I Wish I Could Be A Kid On Halloween Again

Now the idea of stuffing my face with chocolate makes me sick to my stomach.

Conner Baker, Unsplash
17

There are many things about childhood that you don't appreciate until you get older; Halloween is one of them.

The first night I stayed costumeless and out of the cold, I was a freshman in high school. I remained in my house baking pumpkin bread with my family. My older brother and I had still made jack-o'-lanterns to set outside on the porch for the few kids in our neighborhood who stopped on our cul-de-sac, but nothing seemed to have the same spooky Halloween magic to it after sixth grade.

I remember relishing going through the Halloween costume catalogs from party stores as a kid looking for ideas on what to be for Halloween. There was no pressure to be "sexy" or particularly innovative with your costume - give me a dress, a pair of wings and a wand and I truly felt like I could be a fairy princess. Now when I think about what I want to wear to Halloween festivities in college, it's all about trying to organize a group costume theme or find something that everyone else will find interesting, funny or attractive.

I also don't have the same sweet tooth anymore. Although this has also greatly advanced my cavity protection, I miss the thrill that came with going through a huge pile of candy after a night of trick-or-treating and organizing it into chocolate, non-chocolate and things I want to give or throw away (I was not a fan of Almond Joys back then.). I still like a good Twix bar when I'm stressed, but now the thought of having a gallon-size ziplock bag full of candy all to myself makes me sick to my stomach.

Hanging out with friends on Halloween is also a different experience. Trick-or-treating gets replaced with hardcore partying or watching scary movies. Personally, I'm not much of a partier, and I couldn't even make it through the first 10 minutes of The Exorcist. I miss the days of It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and Disney Channel Halloween specials like Twitches.

Carving pumpkins in a residence hall is also a lot trickier. Getting a pumpkin in the first place can be a trick in itself, especially if you don't have a car to drive to the store or nearest pumpkin patch. Then there's having the proper pumpkin-carving tools and having a place to put the pumpkin. You can't put a candle inside when you're done (fire hazard!), and those puny tea lights have nowhere near the same haunting effect. Also, there's no real place to put it - the janitorial staff probably won't appreciate a rotting pumpkin sitting in the hallway outside your door.

Additionally, in contrast to my childhood, I don't find carving a pumpkin fun for the sake of carving a pumpkin: I enjoy scooping out the seeds inside, cleaning them and baking them. It's a Halloween treat I find even better than candy sometimes.

Growing up and maturing is part of life, but there are still moments of nostalgia where I wish I could go back to the fun of being a kid on Halloween night. I would have willingly braved the cold in my princess dress in order to get some candy; now my ideal Halloween night will be staying indoors in my pajamas and watching season two of Stranger Things.