I'm Kicking Off 2018 With A Bang

I'm Kicking Off 2018 With A Bang

What time is better than today or tomorrow? I am taking my 20's seriously and wanting to experience it all.
115

As some of you may or may not know, I am very excitingly studying abroad starting this January and will be back in the states in May of 2018. I have chosen to spend my semester in Glasgow, Scotland, in the United Kingdom.

What do I mean when I say "Kicking off 2018 with a bang??"

Last month, I turned 20 years old, and I've had lots of very large eye-opening experiences happen to me this past year in 2017. I truly have discovered a path I want to take my life on, dreams I want to pursue, and the next steps to making all of this come true.

I am not sure about the rest of you, but I took turning 20 years old to be somewhat of a big deal. This is the first year of my life -- I feel that my life is beginning. I decided, with that attitude and gut feeling, that I need to start off my 20's seeing the world through different lenses. While my education is going great, I feel that I can only become a better learner by experiencing fashion and a new way of life abroad.

I had a huge realization that these next 10 years are monumental stepping stones for my life. Usually, people in their 20's graduate with a degree, experiment with careers, travel, get married and whatever else people do; but I am not quite sure of that yet. I just kept thinking to myself, how is it that I am at this point in my life? Where did the time go? And how do I get it to slow down?

Thinking of how quickly time has flown, it has always been a dream of mine to either study abroad or travel later on.

What time is better than today or tomorrow? Because a couple of years from now, I possibly could become so caught up in my life, career, significant other or whatever else it may be -- and what if I don't have this opportunity again?

So, what do I hope to get out of studying abroad? And am I nervous? Yes.

I chose Glasgow, Scotland for many reasons:

1. The friendliness of the people

As someone who loves to talk and write, I decided that I would want to spend my time in coffee shops and pubs with people who want to tell me their story and people who want to hear mine. Scottish people are notoriously known for being outstandingly friendly folks. I want to make sure that my time abroad will be focused on making connections and friendships with the young and old.

2. The Scenery

Scotland really has it all. While it has two larger cities, it also has the quaint small towns and hills that roll forever. I will be able to museum hop, eat oceanside food, and explore mountains and natural life at its finest. I am more than excited to be connected to the United Kingdom, where I can explore other countries and people who are different from the rest.

3. My education

I have heard lots of people ask me, "Why Scotland for fashion?"

Well, I did not choose to attend a fashion institute for many reasons. I am attending a university that has an excellent fashion program, just like Iowa State, and that is what makes it an exchange program. I decided that my goal is to spend the rest of my life in the fashion field. I want to live and breathe writing about fashion and lifestyle. My logic: why spend an entire semester at an institute doing what I will be doing for the rest of my life? Why not take this opportunity to challenge myself? Take this opportunity to learn about fashion in a differently cultured way. I am so blessed that this is going to be the next four months of my life.

I am ready to make 2018 the best year yet. It is time to put myself first and experience the unknown of life that I have been dying to get ahold of.