The Fight To Keep The Makeup Community Kind

We've moved passed the makeup and the glamour, we've turned this community into something a lot of people fear and it's time we fix that.

124
Jaclyn Hill Meet and Greet

If you follow the beauty community in the slightest, then you've probably heard about the "beef" between Jeffree Star and Kat Von D. Even if you don't follow the beauty community, you've probably heard about it, at least to some extent considering it's been all over my Facebook feed since it happened.

Long story short, Kat made an Instagram post about deciding to cut out Jeffree from her life after 10+ years of friendship. She then made a video on her Youtube channel addressing the issue. Of course, Jeffree made his own video in response to hers. If you have no idea what I'm talking about you can watch her video and his video to get caught up.

But that's not really what I want to talk about. While I have my own opinions about this situation, I don't feel the need to blast the internet with it. I don't want to talk about the subject at all because it's not my business.

Honestly, I don't understand why fans of both Kat and Jeffree are taking to the internet and making this some sort of makeup crusade. This doesn't affect us as fans in the slightest. Both brands are amazing, and no one did anything harmful or illegal.

This situation, in my opinion, shouldn't have been made public. It's no one's business but the immediate people involved, and the fact that fans are harassing Jeffree's family to the point of death threats is disgusting. That shouldn't be something you say to anyone, and it shows how far our society has fallen.

Somehow every minor fight or tiff between two well-known people on the internet turns into something ugly. It blows my mind how quickly people can dish out death threats, as if they're not even talking to real people. These people hide behind Instagram accounts and Twitter accounts, and they forget that what they're saying is one of the worst things you can say to a person. They're empty threats because most of these people wouldn't have the nerve to say it to someone's face, and that makes it worse!

To the makeup community, I beg you to reevaluate what we're turning into. We've moved past the makeup and the glamour, we've turned this community into something a lot of people fear. Beauty bloggers and gurus shouldn't have to disable comments on videos because of how nasty people get. Fellow viewers shouldn't be fearful of leaving a comment that may offend someone.

This community is about love and accepting one another for who they are. It's about self expression and being comfortable enough to show who we really are. For the mass majority of us, that's exactly what it is. Unfortunately, there's a percentage of our community that's lurking in the shadows of every video and every blog waiting for a reason to get upset.

I beg you, if you love this community as much as I do please spread love. Lift people up instead of tearing them down. If you see a picture online or someone around you with something that you love, tell them. It's not awkward, it's not weird. It's being nice. This world needs more kindness and love, and this is a good first step to achieving that.