Korean Dramas You Need To Watch

Korean Dramas You Need To Watch

Whether you watch dramas religiously or just want to watch some good shows, here are eight kdramas you will be sure to love.

290
Korean Dramas You Need To Watch
Shutterstock

Korean dramas have gained a lot of popularity lately. If you haven’t seen one yet, you need to stop whatever you’re doing and check out some of these dramas. In no order whatsoever, I have listed some of the most widely known dramas, my favorites, and ones that you can’t help but fall in love with. There are so many more kdramas out there that I haven’t watched or heard of, so feel free to explore outside of this list or add on to this list by commenting your favorite drama below.

1. "Boys Over Flowers"

The drama that literally everyone talks about. This is a classic drama that I recommend to everyone for the following reasons: 1. Lee Min Ho (aka bae) and all the other great actors 2. Prepares you for most drama plots of a rude rich boy falling in love with an independent poor girl 3. Love triangles. Although this drama is as unrealistic as they get, you can’t help but fall in love with each and every one of the characters. Gu Jun Pyo and Geum Jan Di are just such a power couple. I personally like how this drama also showcases the supporting character’s stories. You get to see the story behind each of the F4 boys and Ga Eul’s, Jan Di’s best friend, choices. The reason “Boys Over Flowers” is so widely known is because of the intense emotions the viewer feels while watching the drama. One minute your heart will be breaking into pieces, and the next you’ll be laughing uncontrollably.

2. "She Was Pretty"

This drama made it to this list because of it’s comedic gold. From meme-worthy faces, to just flat-out awkward situations, it’s easy to find yourself watching this series in the middle of the night while laughing and clapping like a seal. It’s totally okay; we all do this sometimes. The character development is so ingeniously written. Each character’s story intertwines with the others. The two main characters were each other's first love but don’t recognize one another when they meet again as adults. After that, unbelievable coincidences and situations continue building up until they are forced to work together. This drama keeps the viewer interested from beginning to end.

3. "Oh My Venus"

I just love how body-positive this drama is. The main character is very relatable; she’s a lawyer who is still paying student debts, beautifully quirky, and she struggles with her weight throughout the series but never loses her sass or humor. This drama shows both sides of the spectrum; a girl who gained weight, and one who lost weight. They each face the struggle of loving their body and later learn their worth through different situations. This isn’t just any romance drama, this a drama that empowers women to love themselves and strive for greatness (however they choose to define it).

4. "My Love From Another Star"

Such a beautiful story line! Two star-crossed lovers, an alien who must leave to his home planet in 3 months and an idol try to beat the odds to stay together. From chicken and beer to discovering a murderer, this drama keeps you at the edge of your seat. This is definitely not your typical drama. It’s so easy to fall in love with the characters and their unfortunate fate.

5. "Coffee Prince"

This is, hands down, my favorite series. It has a classic plot of a girl pretending to be a boy but with a slight twist. The hilarious irony throughout the drama makes you want to watch back-to-back episodes until the end. I recommend this drama to everyone because it’s just so irresistable. Choi Han Kyul, a rich bachelor pretends to be gay by hiring a boy to act as his boyfriend so his family stops telling him to get married. Little does Han Kyul know that the boy he just hired is actually a girl, Go Eun Chan. Eun Chan is poor so she just goes along with it and pretends to be a boy. When they start to fall in love, Han Kyul begins to think that he’s actually becoming gay. Everything goes downhill when Eun Chan tells him that she’s a girl and that she has been lying to him the whole time. If you want to find out what happens after this, watch the drama to find out. I don’t want to spoil the whole drama!

6. "City Hunter"

*Sigh* You never forget your first drama. This was the first drama I’ve ever watched. While this story does have small love story embedded in it, it’s more of an action-themed story line. Both of the main characters are strong fighters trained in different situations but prepared for the worst. Lee Yun Seong has been trained to avenge his father’s death. When he becomes an adult, he realizes he doesn’t want to seek revenge the way he has been trained to do so. It’s a story that urges justice and fairness within the government.

7. "Beating Again/Falling In Love With Soon Jung"

Alright, this is a beautiful drama, but you will ball your eyes out. It’s one of those under-appreciated shows that deserve so much more credit than they actually get. All of the actors play their roles extraordinarily well and add depth to the story. I don’t want to give too much out about this drama but let’s just say it should be of the list of dramas you need to watch right away.

8. "Flower Boy Ramen Shop"

Although this drama is perfection, I have to warn you about something us kdrama watchers know as “second-lead syndrome.” You will fall in love with the character at the end of the love triangle and they just won’t end up with the person you want them to be with. After you accept this, you will notice that this drama is just plain adorable. It’s easy to get irritated with Yang Eun Bi since she’s so awkward and unfortunate, but if you put yourself in her shoes, you might just find yourself reacting the same way --but with a little less flair.