Don't like country music? No problem!

Kacey Musgraves Is Redefining Country Music

Not a fan of country? No problem!

michele
michele
7

As someone who is not a fan of country, I always poked fun at people who did. I had this stereotype in mind thinking that a bunch of hillbillies only like country music. My opinion changed when I first heard of Kacey Musgraves.

I first heard of her when she was announced to be the opening act for Harry Styles' 2018 tour (check out my article about my experience at that show here). At first, it seemed really odd for an artist like Harry to have a country artist like Kacey go on tour with him.

A year before the U.S leg of the tour started, she made some controversial comments about Harry's fans in an interview when asked if she's excited about the tour, stating "Yeah, it's going to be a wall of screaming teenage girls wanting my set to be over." This comment did not sit well with many of Harry's fans, as many of them attacked her online for belittling his fanbase.

I'll admit, I was not too excited for her set because of her comments. I went to the show, with a negative connotation of who she is. But as soon as I heard her live, I instantly had a change of heart. Her lyrics were majestic, the acoustic guitar was bittersweet and her vocals were incredibly smooth. I was in for a good surprise.

As soon as the show finished, I instantly added her newest album Golden Hour to my playlist. Today, I can now say that I am a fan of what she stands for and her music. I sure am glad that the Recording Academy is recognizing this brilliant album as it is nominated for Best Album of the Year. Here are some of my favorites from Kacey so you can get to know her a little bit.

1. Butterflies

I listened to this song when Harry had just announced that she would be the opening act so this was my introduction to her music. I instantly fell in love with this song.

2. High Horse

For sure one of my favorite songs of the year. It's fun, danceable, and catchy. It makes me want to shout "YEEHAW!"

3. Space Cowboy

Heartbreaking but calming. This song seems to be relatable to a lot of people.

I hope you enjoyed this and GO LISTEN TO GOLDEN HOUR!! You will not regret it.