8 Activities for College Students Who Just Finished Their Online Semester

We all wish we could celebrate by going to the beach, but that will just have to wait.

98

The month of May has finally arrived, meaning college students across the nation are trying to finish their semester off strong despite being stuck in isolation. Whether you're quarantine with your overbearing family or locked inside with your roommate, these last few months of online school have been unbelievably challenging. It is no small triumph that you have either completed your semester or are putting the finishing touches on a final paper.

As much as my fellow college students and I wish we could enjoy this time by throwing a party or taking a vacation, that is simply not a possibility. For now, we just need to figure out what we can do to occupy our time since the school year has come to a close. Some might already have their hands full with remote internships or working, but the rest of us are inevitably going to go out of our minds if we cannot find something to do. Luckily, there are a few activities you can try in the comfort of your own home to stay sane.

1. Start Journaling

It is natural to feel overwhelmed during this time, especially as a college student. For months, you were forced to take classes as the world basically crumbled around you. Take a moment to reflect, you may be surprised at how stress-relieving simply writing your thoughts down can be.

2. Bake Bread

I don't care what people on the Internet are saying right now, bread is delicious and it is okay to make two loaves per day. Whether that's banana bread or a loaf shaped like a frog, everything is acceptable.

3. Watch Foreign Language Films

Bong Joon-ho made a good point after winning his Academy Award in 2020: people need to get over their animosity towards subtitles. You'll discover a whole new world of film that you had no idea existed. I suggest starting with Parasite.

4. Grow Some Plants

Almost every college student has tried to take care of a plant in their dorm and effectively killed it after a week. Now that you have a little more time on your hands, maybe you can invest in a succulent or fern. Just make sure it's relatively low-maintenance.

5. Explore a New Art Project

No matter what your passion may be: writing, painting, crocheting, you have the time to rediscover it. You can also try a field you never pursued before.

6. Take an Online Course

If you really have the urge to continue learning, there are options to take online courses for free. From architecture to physics, you can finally explore that one class which always conflicted with your schedule.

7. Clean Out Your Closet

Being in quarantine taught me that I really only wear half of the clothes in my closet. Do some spring cleaning and get rid of the stuff in your drawers that is either from the eighth grade or still has tags on it. You can even earn a little cash if you have items that are in good condition with apps like Poshmark and Depop.

8. Relax

As college students, we are taught that we must constantly be productive. Allow yourself some well-needed rest after finishing a difficult semester. You earned it.

Congratulations to all the college students who survived this semester and pushed to the end, especially to the graduating seniors. Stay patient, keep social distancing, and we will be able to celebrate the end of the school year in the right way soon.