Just A Little Preview Of What It Is Like To Be 20 Years Old

Are you an adult or still a teenager?

53
Odyssey Online

Turning twenty did not feel like it made much of a difference, well to me at least. Yay I'm officially in my twenties I guess haha but I was in no rush to enter my twenties. That just means I'm getting closer and closer to entering the real adult world, you know like paying even more bills, moving out, getting a real job after graduation, and even more responsibilities. Yet, there are people who are twenty already doing that. This is why I think twenty is a weird age. Some people are twenty with children, married, or even married with children, still in college, or decided either hold off on school or not go at all and work full-time right after high school. The possibilities are endless.

But this is what all twenty year olds have in common. We all feel like we are supposed to have it all together but the truth is... we don't need to! We are only twenty years old! We are young and still have time to get it together. There's plenty time to work on yourself. Although this is really hard to do, we should all try to refrain from comparing our lives to other people our age's lives. It doesn't matter how old you are when you do it, your accomplishment is still your accomplishment. Essentially, nobody is perfect and we should not aim for perfection.

You might be twenty and just have no idea what you're doing or want to do (me). I personally don't like the uncertainty and stress a lot about it but like my peers tell me, this is perfectly fine. I know there's probably others out there that feel like this but are probably aren't as open about it. As I previously mentioned, there's time and I know I'll figure it out soon enough! Same goes for anyone feeling this way.

Twenty is just a weird age in general. I mean we can get our driver's license as early as sixteen and a half, vote at eighteen, join the military at eighteen, but we cannot legally consume alcohol until twenty-one. So are we really adults yet? It's like this awkward stage of teenager and adult. Not saying being able to legally drink is the only thing that makes you an adult but do you see what I mean?

When I'm with people younger than me, I'm thinking to myself "Wow I feel old" based on what I see them doing. In reality, I'm not even old though! Is this what adulthood feels like? Not understanding what the children these days are doing? If so, then I'm definitely an adult. Oh and I definitely appreciate sleep more than I ever have in my whole life. I guess those are the little aspects of adulthood that you don't even realize you're experiencing at twenty.