I Just Don't Get It: A Letter To Trump Supporters

Please explain.

75
Chicago Tribune

Dear Trump Supporters,

I’m just gonna come out and say it, I DON’T GET IT! I mean I don’t get any of it. I have tried to understand, I have talked with Trump supporters, I analyze in my politics classes, I watch the news, and I try so hard to keep an open mind but I seriously just don’t get it. But since there’s a lot I don’t get, let me attempt to break it down and show you exactly what I’m missing here.

Look I know everyone didn’t vote for him for the same reasons and I hate to generalize people into one group, but I’m not really sure how else to address this. While I will never agree for many of the reasons people voted for Trump, I guess I can somewhat understand. Many people felt he brought something different to the table and was outspoken and that got people’s attention and I get it. But I mean what he said on the campaign trail. He wanted people thrown out in the cold, he supported the violent attacks on protesters at his rallies, he repeated the same thing over and over again without any real plan. I mean for healthcare all he talked about was how his plan would cover more and cost less, but he never went beyond that phrase. I mean there was a video released of him admitting to sexually assaulting women and forcing himself on them, and that didn’t unsettle any of you? The man, if you can call him that, degraded women over and over. Surely all of you have mothers that if someone used language like he did towards them, wouldn’t you just sock them in the mouth?

But for some reason many of you voted for him, I don’t get it. Next, he said he would “drain the swamp” by which he meant taking out the corrupt people in the government. But then he hired Rex Tillerson, the CEO and like billionaire owner of Exxon, and appointed Betsy Devos who has no connection to the government but donating millions of her family’s money to support campaigns. Her kids have never had to worry about what college they would get into, let alone be afraid of not being able to go to college, and will never have to pay a loan in their life. She even said it! But you think these people will represent your interests and that of your children. I mean it seemed like nobody was up in arms about this. CEOs very rarely every represent the needs of the common people. And I can assure Trump does not have the needs of the common man in mind when he appoints these types of people to his cabinet. Not to mention they are basically all white men so you can consider the interests of so many will be left out of any political decisions.

Also, can we talk about the number of times he has left the White House and the money he is costing the tax-payers. Trump heavily criticized President Obama’s trips and Trump said that he wouldn’t even have time to vacation because he would be so busy making America great again. Trump has traveled at least four times to his Mar-a-Lago resort, a trip that costs $3 million each time. That’s $12 million in the first 70 days of office. Trump has spent $10 million so far in his first month while President Obama spent $12 million in one whole year. Not to mention the $1 million a day it costs to keep protecting Trump’s family in Trump Tower. Projections are showing that if Trump continues this he spends $480 million for one term and $960 million for two terms. Obama’s travel costs for his whole eight years were only $97 million. And this is all coming and being paid for by tax-payer money, aka YOU! And where do you really think the money for this wall is coming from? Hint, go back one sentence. I don’t get it.

The fact is Trump has just lied to the American public over and over again. His healthcare plan, which he said would cover more and cost less, actually ended up making it so insurance companies didn’t have to cover pregnancy, emergency visits to the hospital, physicals, and almost anything a basic human would need at a doctor or hospital. But everyone thought it was great. He spews hate speech at women and those of other religions or ethnicities. The fact is he doesn’t even act as a decent human being should. Day after day he simply lies to us and continues the same answerless rhetoric. But none of you are upset or challenging him. Evidence is coming out that shows he worked with Russia during the campaign, and nobody seems the slightest bit bothered by it. I just don’t get it, and the list goes on of what I don’t understand. But he continues to lie and break promises. It seems everyone was so quick to judge and criticize President Obama but you seem to shove everything Trump does under the rug. I may never understand this logic that comes from his supporters. It truly just isn’t logical. Nothing about this situation makes sense. Maybe that’s why I just don’t get it.

P.S. I hope you realize I used President Obama and only called Trump, Trump.