13 Things You Learn When Moving From A Small Town To A Big City

What I've Liked, Learned, and Taken for Granted

30
https://www.cornerstone-group.com/office/cornerstone-cleveland/

After moving to Cleveland for the summer for my internship, it’s given me time to reflect on my transition from the beginning of college to now.

Let’s start with college. I started attending BGSU fall of 2015. I am a Telecommunications Major and Music Industry minor. As most of you can relate- it's not easy to choose a major as it took me a whole year to figure out what major/minor would get me to where I wanted to go in life. I am extremely passionate about music and I’ve always been. As hard as it was for me to pick a major, it’s like I always knew I had to do something with music. When I was in 5th grade I was on my way to a basketball game and I found a Beatles #1 greatest hits CD (the red one with the yellow #1 on the front) in my mom’s car. I put it in and instantly fell in love. After that day, I became obsessed and learned everything I could about The Beatles. I'm talking birthdays, addresses, parent’s names, EVERYTHING. I look back to this day, and think to myself... "you knew when you were 11 what you were meant to do,” "And as an 18-year-old sophomore in college you're confused? Silly Suzanna!"

Coming to college I was introduced to and got to really dive in and discover some of my favorite bands/artists. I always knew I loved music and attending concerts, but how does one go to college for something like this, or make a career of it? After talking with my advisor, I decided on Telecommunications with a focus in Media Business and Minoring in Music Industry with an emphasis in Promotion.

In the spring of 2016, I attended a job fair (for extra credit) and I talked with a lot of people about my interests and every single one of them suggested I work at a venue over the summer in either Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. After the job fair, I immediately went back to my dorm and applied at 3 venues in Cleveland. Prior to this I had maybe been to Cleveland once or twice for a couple Indians games as a kid with my dad. The following day I received and email from Jacobs Pavilion in downtown Cleveland, inviting me to the job fair that weekend. So, I went shopping for a new outfit and was on my way. I was offered the job as an usher/ticket taker the same day, I couldn’t believe it! I had never done anything like this before. I was going to be working in a city, surrounded by live music.

My dreams were coming true! That summer I moved back home to Tiffin to complete a summer course and work at my old high school job along with Buffalo Wild Wings as a host/cashier, joined a summer softball league, ALONG with my frequent trudges to Cleveland to work concerts. I was a tad busy to say the least, but wouldn’t have it any other way. As another school year went by- THIS summer I was accepted as an intern for Jacobs to shadow the venue manager (much love to ya Frank). So, I decided this time to move here for the summer, since driving two hours to work, every time there’s a concert is just a little excessive. After moving to downtown Cleveland for the summer it has given me time to reflect on the things that make realize what I like, learned, and taken for granted when transitioning from a small town to a big city.

1. Driving

You think driving across town is bad to go to Walmart when you need something. Think again. The nearest Walmart to me is like 20 min away and it's not the safe, go-for-fun with your friends kind of Walmart trip. I have to get on the highway almost everytime I have to go somewhere. Also, it's not your typical small town driver who goes way under the speed limit. These people are on a mission so you need to move your own a$$ or they’ll move it for ya.

2. Fast Food

Hungry at 1 a.m.? Want McDonald's? Forget it. Unlike BG or Tiffin, they close at 1 a.m. and are not open 24 hours like you would expect. I had to drive 15 min out of my way for some taco bell the other night!

3. Police

Most people in small town often think the police are “out to get you”, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think the same at some point. After moving here, whenever I see a cop I instantly feel safer and protected. Not to mention the police who work at Jacobs rock!

4. No One Knows You

One of the beautiful things about not being in a small town where everyone knows everyone, is that no one here knows me. It’s a breath of fresh air to meet new people and have people get to know me without everyone knowing everything about me, such as who my parents are, or what high school I went to.

5. Sports Fans

I’ve grown up in a family who enjoys sports and of course the Cleveland Indians, but now I am surrounded by it 24/7! It’s amazing to see how much LOVE and support the people of Cleveland share for the Cavs and Indians. I’m thrilled to live and work in an area that is surrounded by this excitement. In small towns like tiffin or BG people get hyped up over high school football and college sports but nothing compares to being downtown during a playoff, finals, or world series game. Definitely not something you get in a small town.

6. Parking

I can most definitely say I took parking for granted when growing up in Tiffin. I didn’t even know how to work a parking meter until this summer.

~just small town things~

Get used to $20 parking on event days in the city!

7. Sirens

Hearing police/ambulance sirens has become a regular thing when living downtown. The first time I heard it I thought to myself “omg whats going on!!” I can remember when an ambulance drove past my grandma's house she would immediately run outside to see where it was headed to see if was going towards anyone's house she might know. Big difference here. Now, I don’t think anything of it anymore, since it happens so many times throughout the day.

8. Backyards

Wanna lay out and get a nice tan? Better off hitting the tanning bed downtown. Cherish your back yards, because one day you’ll wish you had it!!

9. "The New Girl"

Being the new girl is never fun, but we all have to get through it. For the first time in two years, I’m the new girl again at work. Thankfully I work with some pretty cool people and don’t think I’ll have a problem making friends, but just a reminder to always smile and show respect for your co-workers because it really makes all the difference.

10. Concerts/Games

For the first time in my life, I don’t have to worry about missing out on a concert or game from living too far away! I'm right here!!! The perks of living in a city is I’ll never have to worry about not having something to do- just rather having enough money to do so ;)

11. Living Alone

This is my first time living alone. I’ve always lived with friends or else with random roommates. This past year at school I lived with 3 other girls and felt confined to my room since we weren’t all best friends. This summer I live alone in a studio apartment (which includes a pretty sick view of the city). I’m excited to be able to learn to enjoy my own company, love myself, and be my own best friend. So far it's working out :)

12. Friends

Hold your friends and family close to your heart. If I didn’t have the friends or family I do, I wouldn’t be the person I am right now. I’m extremely thankful for the friends I’ve made in college that have supported me throughout all my impulsive decisions, and most importantly helped me make this move possible. My friends have helped introduce me to all things Cleveland and I couldn’t be more thankful. I’ll never forget the memory of my friend Sarah’s parents showing up to my apartment to help me move in. I love you guys so much!

13. Cornfields

Everyone makes fun of being surrounded by cornfields when growing up in a place like Tiffin, but one day when you leave home and you're no longer be stuck behind a tractor, or see a corn silo to your left, you’ll miss it. Never forget where you came from.

A huge thank you and I LOVE YOU to my parents and grandparents for always supporting me and making my dreams come true. I know i'm a brat, but you don't know how much you mean to me. You're in everything I do :)