If You're A Journalism Major, These 7 Problems Are Constantly Trending

Journalism and other Mass Communication majors face a unique set of lessons and experiences in college.

1037

College can be a rewarding experience for all, but there’s no denying that whatever major you are, you probably face specific problems or awkward moments that anyone outside your major can’t relate to. The same is especially true for journalism students--ranting to your family and friends just isn’t rewarding, because they probably have no idea what a lead or the AP Stylebook is. And they probably don’t care, either.

As a journalism student myself, I am far too familiar with losing sleep (and sanity) over a deadline, and all the other problems students of a “dying industry” face. Here are seven of the most infuriating problems that all journalism majors can relate to:

1. Having your friends and family try to correct you when you leave out the Oxford comma.

Yes, Becky from high school, I know what an Oxford comma is. No, I'm not going to use it in my breaking news tweets. Hasn't anyone heard of AP Style?

2. Watching people instantly tune out when you start talking about that meeting or event you had to cover.

If you ever want someone to stop paying attention to you, just start a sentence with: "So at the city council meeting last night..." Turns out, most people don't find local ordinances or agenda changes quite as interesting as journalism students do. One of my favorite things to do is watch my friends go dead in the eyes when I start talking about what this city councilman or commissioner said at some meeting or ribbon-cutting ceremony.

3. Having sources laugh in your face when you say you're a "student journalist."

One of the worst lessons I had to learn as a journalism major is that some people just don't take you seriously as a journalist when you're still in school, even though most of our pieces are aimed at publication. Sources would rather talk to the reporter from your local newspaper than talk to you, even though you might have the same questions. Try not to take it personally--we'll get our vengeance once we graduate.

4. That moment when people call journalism a "dying profession."

I always refrain from sharing my major with others, so I can miss out on having my potential future career torn to shreds. There's nothing worse than excitedly talking about a new article you're working on, only to have your great-great-great, twice-removed aunt condescendingly tell you your major worthless and your tuition is wasted money. Yup, I did dedicate my life to a lost cause. Thanks for the input.

5. Not understanding why people aren't as interested in current events as you are.

As a journalism major, I probably get more notifications from news apps than I do text messages or social media--and I know I'm not alone. When you're tasked with constantly consuming news media, it has this retroactive effect of becoming really, really interesting-sometimes it gets hard to remember that not everyone is as much if a news junkie as you are. It's even worse when you start regurgitating current events to your friends as you would for breaking news on Twitter: "Hey, classmate, did you know that #BREAKING: #RandomPolitician said this, this and this to #AnotherRandomPolitician? No? Just me?"

6. Cringing when you see yourself in a standup or hear your voice played back for the first time.

There's nothing quite like the horror of watching yourself in a mock standup or playing back audio from an interview for the first time--not to mention in front of your professors and classmates for critiques (Prof. Sean Collins-Smith at VCU, I'm talking about you.) I'm too familiar with the thoughts: "Oh my god, is that what I look like?" and "Oh my god, is that what I sound like?" But, on the bright side, you're forced to do it again and again until you just don't care anymore. It's actually quite freeing.

7. The mind-numbing task of transcribing interviews.

One of the most tedious parts of being a journalism student is learning how to go back and transcribe an audio file for quotes. It takes forever to search through your audio recorder for the right file, and when you find it, it's an hour and 45 minutes long. Looks like it's going to be another long night of pausing and un-pausing your audio recorder to transcribe almost every word. Accurately quoting a source is crucial, but God, at what cost?!

These aren't the only problems journalism students face. Whether it's hugging a deadline, not being able to meet word count or learning how to beg on your knees for an interview, journalism students face a set of unique lessons and experiences. College is basically just a game of whether we can survive off of coffee and three hours of sleep a night for four years.

But in the end, it's kind of worth it, because we get to tell stories and hold people accountable for a living. And that's pretty cool if you ask me.