Any Communication Student Can Tell You That Journalism Is Ineffective Without Non-Partisanship

Bias eliminates credibility.
157

Journalism is a word that everyone should be familiar with.

It is the distribution of news via various media platforms or outlets. It comes in the form of newspapers, television shows, websites, and other forms.

In these modern times, we are all thinking about journalism much more than we used to as a society. This is because the credibility of news reporting seems to be dwindling for many, especially Americans. It is something that is being discussed in increasing amounts along with the emergence of “fake news.”

The key element in all of this is non-partisanship; the lack of bias prevalent in news resources.

Ever since U.S. President Donald Trump rose to prominence within the media, mainstream journalism has come under scrutiny by his supporters. Trump has singled out many news outlets such as CNN and the New York Times as “fake news,” or news that is false or disparaging. His supporters followed suit, calling out certain news outlets as untrustworthy and biased.

The mainstream media has undergone a notable shift in dynamics since Trump announced his bid for president. He received extensive news coverage from many media outlets to the point of omnipresence due to his unorthodox statements and comments.

Many news outlets gave Trump near-unprecedented attention while largely ignoring the other political candidates in comparison. Trump received his fair share of criticism for his political ideas, but the controversies of the other candidates were brushed off and ignored by some.

This is an example of bias, which should never be in journalism.

A journalist’s goal is to state the facts while avoiding giving personal opinions.

The controversy surrounding President Trump has only scratched the surface of the bias that is prevalent in our modern society. The presence of bias in certain American news media has disillusioned many of its residents, but there are methods that can restore public faith in the media.

Perhaps the most effective way that a news anchor can appeal to everyone is by stating the facts of a story. This is standard procedure for journalists, but its importance must be stressed.

Refraining from giving opinions helps keep credibility in check.

Outlets such as CNN and Fox News have used specific tones in their reporting when covering certain stories and have used different tones when reporting about other topics or figures.

In addition, some media outlets tend to focus heavily on one side of an issue and seemingly ignore the other. This is most prevalent when reporting on politics. This can give the impression that these reporters have a certain level of bias towards a particular side. Everyone can catch on with the media if it displays a strong degree of non-partisanship, especially regarding the mainstream.

The future of journalism may be looking increasingly bleak with the continued dissent among the public, along with the bias that is present in some news and media outlets. However, if all journalists and anchors realize that non-partisanship is the key to gaining trust among the public, this situation may take a significantly better turn.