Opening Up Through Journaling

Journaling is something that I think can be beneficial to many, many people. Whether someone uses journaling as a way of getting out thoughts and emotions or a way of helping someone get to know themselves better, there are so many ways a person can use journaling in their life. I have always enjoyed journaling and writing as a pastime (as seen in the reason that I write for Odyssey) and one thing I like to do is take journaling prompts I find online and see how they help me dig deeper into myself and put my thoughts on paper.

To open myself up more to myself and to my readers, I will answer 3 journal prompts. These can be used by anyone to really look into themselves.

1. What Are 10 Things You're Good At?

My Answer: I am good a making people feel comfortable. I am good at organizing activities. I am good at managing my time. I am good at meeting new people and being open. I am good at writing. I am good at committing to things. I am good at dealing with my crazy curly hair. I am good at loving the people around me. I am good at reading.

This prompt really forces you to find things that you are good at. This can really help boost your self-confidence and help you realize how great of a person you truly are.

2. How Have You Changed In The Last 5 Years?

My answer: In the last five years I have been through so much. From moving half-way across the country to my life changing in ways that I could have never imagined. I have learned to have tougher skin. Moving states in my junior year of high school, I didn't have friends on my side, I had to learn that people just didn't want to open their circle and whether that was a reflection of me or them, I just had to grow thicker skin to the whole situation. I have also learned to love harder. I have learned to love harder because of a few things. When your support system shrinks, you learn that you have to cherish who you have with all you've got. I also learned it through relationships, learning how to express love and finding a person that doesn't shy away from loving them hard. I have gained independence. Moving away for college has driven me to find my way of living and my independence in recent years.

This prompt gives you a chance to analyze how you have transformed as a person and who you are developing into.

3. What Activities Set Your Soul On Fire?

My answer: TRAVELING! Anyone who knows me can back this statement up. Traveling is literally the thing that keeps me going every day. The prospect of where and when my next adventure will be is what keeps me going to work and school. I just want to see the world.

This prompt lets you express your love of your favorite activity, lets you feel the joy of talking about the thing you love.