How Journaling Helps My Mental Health

How Journaling Helps My Mental Health

Alleviating the tensions of everyday life is cheap and possible by journaling.

10
How Journaling Helps My Mental Health

I’ve always journaled to some extent, but as my life has gone on, it’s become more necessary. It helps with creativity, and it acts as somewhere for all the thoughts to go.

I have anxiety and depression, and journaling helps me through the haze of mental illnesses. The main purpose of this is to keep organized as much as possible, and sometimes that means making lists, drawing, and just dumping my brain onto a page. I do this daily (or as much as possible), and this is the way that I get the most out of it.

I make a list of things I have done rather than a to-do list some days because it helps with self-esteem, which is hit hard by depression. I have a hard time reveling in my accomplishments, and this is a way to do that, even if it’s just taking small steps. It’s an appropriate and simple measure to feel better about myself.

I also put pictures of people/things I like, or memes, on the inside so it motivates me to stay in touch with the things that make me, me. Having something to relate to, to drive me, and to make me care about my life and myself is an essential part of taking care of my well-being.

For me specifically, I keep an eating log (or try to) so that way I can track if I’m eating enough because I rarely do. I can also track moods and see if there is any correlation between factors such as these, which can be helpful in seeing if a medication is right for me and so on.

I also write inspirational quotes and print them from offline and cut them out. I like being creative and using markers to draw and color on the inside. Art therapy is very calming for me and inspiring in the ways that a to-do list is not.

My journal is a place for me to be myself and express anything that’s going on. My mental illnesses make me believe that I am a terrible person, and this is a safe place to release some of those negative thoughts and emotions.

It’s a place to put my energy forward, with no right or wrong boundaries. I can do no wrong here.

There are no criticisms, there are no wrong things, no aggravation, no anger directed towards me. Just feelings and ideas in an environment that can foster development.

Mental illness has no rationale. It has varying structure, even among people who have the same diagnosis. It’s rough, to say the least. I need somewhere where I’m free of my boundaries and inabilities.

It’s relieving to say the least, when you are harshly critical of yourself, to find a place where you can relax and enjoy the spirit of who you are instead of worrying about judgment—from yourself or others.

One of the biggest reasons I love journaling is because my thoughts create something physical. I can physically see where I’ve been, and it’s a reminder of the things I like about myself and my life.

I like to flip through the quotes I write down and the things that I draw when I feel sad. It’s so I can see that I have made a lasting impression on the pages, that I have been able to survive the days before with just ink and time.

Not only that, it doesn’t cost a lot to do this. I started out with leftover markers and a one dollar journal, so if I did mess up on something, it doesn’t really matter. And that’s precisely the point—that mistakes don’t matter nearly as much as I think they do.

You don’t have to print anything off or use markers or get anything expensive. I got my journal for seriously a dollar. You can use an old black pen and draw or make lists or rant. It’s a sacred space, simply a collection of thoughts.

Journaling helps me feel more in control of my life, and I don’t get that from a lot of things.

It’s one of the few things that makes me feel truly calm. This is why I appreciate journaling—it gives me stability and peace.

That being said, journals are private affairs and should never be read by other people, regardless of whether that person is experiencing a trauma or exhibiting concerning behaviors. It is a violation of privacy to breach someone’s personal space and private thoughts. If anyone does read someone else's journal, you can expect them not to trust you, and this will make that person push even further away.

A journal is a safe space. Let’s treat it that way, and let’s do what we can to alleviate the stress of everyday life.