Joining Clubs Has Made Me A Better Person, Full Stop
College

Adding clubs to my college experience seemed like a burden but they've helped me grow and live better!

56

In high school, I hated organizations. It was like pulling teeth getting me to join clubs and actually attend their meetings. Part of me wants to blame myself but I know it was because high school clubs are lame. They feel forced and you don't even really get to express yourself because there's a chaperone keeping the topics strictly PG. Also, all the people in my high school were trying too hard, myself included, and these clubs just amplified that.

So to start I sound super pessimistic and I was! When I first began college in 2016 I was severely against organizations. I didn't believe in clubs or sororities and frats. I thought they were a waste of time and money. Then one day I bit the bullet and decided I needed to join a club.

I texted one of my close friends, Emily, asking her about the group she writes for (you can probably see where this is going). Soon I was a member of the FGCU Odyssey club. I was hooked almost right away.

I realized I loved writing and I loved this group of new people in my life. I could always find someone to talk to and hang out with. I found close friends and got realized I knew a lot more people than I thought!

I wanted more! More friends, more meetings, more things to do! I joined the knitting club at FGCU, which just had its first meeting and I'm so happy.

These clubs have given me something to look forward to. It makes me feel like I have mini families that I can rely on and talk to whenever!

I'm not a full convert I probably won't become a sorority sister anytime soon because that seems like a lot for me but I can really appreciate the sisterhood so much more.

Overall, clubs gave me more confidence and happiness than I ever thought they could. At the end of the day, I'm a better human because of them.