I Joined A Sorority For All The Wrong Reasons

I joined a sorority for all the wrong reasons, but it was the most right decision I have ever made!

453
Lauren McMahon

As a future law student, I am constantly looking for ways to set myself apart from others, looking for things that will help build my resume in a positive way so that I can be a #1 candidate for any law school I want to go to. I went to a junior college and transferred to a university where I knew maybe six people.

Maybe.

I went from knowing almost everyone I went to school with, to be so alone in a sea of 20,000 people. I needed to start making connections/friends and joining things that would make me a little more desirable to the big law schools I plan on applying to.

If you're anything like me, you want to join any and everything and can't say no to extra volunteer work, even if you don't have the time to do it. Somehow us "can-doers" make it work. But out of all the things I started to get involved in, I rushed into the one thing I told myself I would never and I mean NEVER do...a sorority.

None of my friends, family, past teachers ever thought I would join a sorority either, but here I am on a straight path to being an active member in December! I am a member of the Alpha Alpha pledge class of Omega Phi Alpha, which is a national service sorority. I joined this particular sorority because it was service oriented, and hello, service looks awesome on a law school applications, sign me up! I do love volunteering, but being able to say I was a part of a group that focused on volunteer efforts of all kinds looks even better.

So after seeing flyers around campus in August, I thought, "Why not?" and rushed! I was rushing for all the wrong reasons, not because I wanted to be a part of a sisterhood, not because I actually cared, because I didn't, I was rushing for my own personal gains. I was being selfish, and I didn't care. But let me tell you, rushing for all the wrong reasons turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made in college.

Rushing for the wrong reasons in and of itself was just plain wrong because it robbed a spot from a potential new member that may have truly wanted the sisterhood and new friendships. However, God works in mysterious ways and rushing for OPhiA has been what has gotten me through this semester.

I wasn't particularly looking to make new friends but knew it would happen, but I didn't make just new friends, I have made a few BEST friends. I have 22 new sisters, awesome actives, 2 wonderful moms (S/o to Morgan and Mackenzie), an amazing rosebud, and the best family around. I never thought I would click with anyone, but I have and it's wonderful.

There is always someone to hang out with, vent to, go shopping with, I will never have to eat alone again; we have each other's backs. If any of us need ANYTHING at ANY time, someone will always be there! S/o to Angie and Megan--the B-Squad. <3.

We not only have each other's backs, but we have the communities back. Because we are a part of a national service sorority, we give back to our school, our community, each other and to the nations of the world with our various service projects. It is such a rewarding feeling knowing that we have spent our time doing something that is actually important and worthwhile.

It feels so good to know that we are working on projects with people who genuinely want to be there and do good for the community. My favorite project so far has been the Walk to End Alzheimer's -- our pledge class's first project ever together. :)

While joining for the wrong reasons may have been the start of rushing, that definitely isn't why I continued to rush. I have a choice to leave at any time I please, but that will not be happening. I have made so many wonderful friendships that I will cherish forever and we have done and continue to do service projects to make impacts on others and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. As cliche as it is, joining a sorority has been the best decision I have ever made.

To survive college, I highly recommend having a strong support network and I must say, mine is the best. Much love to my Alpha Alpha sisters and to the entire Alpha Gamma chapter, you ladies have made a difference in my life and I hope to make a difference in yours. I appreciate each and every one of you so much and can't wait to continue to grow and serve with all of you.

Rushing for the wrong reasons, has been the most right decision I have ever made!