If You Haven't Joined The HQ Craze, You're Missing Out

Have you been a lucky victor yet?

90
@hw_trivia / Instagram

As I type up my article for the week, my brain is half distracted by the electrifying game on my phone, which entices me to answer questions correctly as quickly as I can, but still, watch and play along once I'm eliminated. I've been playing for about a month now, and the more I play — and lose — the more revved-up I am to win for the next time.

One of the top apps of the last quarter of 2017 was HQ, a live trivia game show right on your phone. At only three months old, but with a bright colorful intro, an entertaining host, and the thrill of winning money by answering trivia questions, it's no surprise that more than a half of a million people join in each game for the chance to win actual cash money. The game seems to be spreading like wildfire via social media and word-of-mouth, as more and more people jump into the competition.

12 correct answers are all it takes to win or split the cash prize, which in my time playing has ranged from $1,000, all the way up to $18,000 as holiday specials. The questions get increasingly harder as the game progresses, and by the middle of the game, it's not uncommon to see "savage questions," where the correct answer is the choice with the least number of votes. Got eliminated too soon during one of the 3 p.m. EST weekday games? Have no fear, play again at 9 p.m. EST both on the weekdays and weekends.

The game is appealing to young and old alike. My Christmas was spent with four of my cousins each having the game pulled up on their phones, as grandparents and older relatives helped to chime correct answers. None of us won, unfortunately, but we all felt the energy and excitement as we tried to get through the questions. Since Christmas, we've messaged one another about other developments with the game, including some of the glitches.

Any new app has its problems, especially one that tries to host upwards of one million participants all at once. There have been delays, re-dos, and other occasional issues with the game, including one game where I was kicked out despite answering correctly, but all-in-all, the game show's potential and that it's trying to correct these problems.

If you haven't joined the HQ bandwagon yet, you'll want to do so quickly. Each passing day sees more competitors for each game, making it even harder to take away a slice of the prize for yourself. Think you know trivia or very random pieces of information from different aspects of pop culture, geography, history, current events, and more? Then don't waste any more time not clicking your way to a sizeable reward.