Johnny Manziel Does Not Deserve Another Shot At The NFL

Johnny Football Does Not Deserve Another Shot In The NFL

His career wasn't cut because of injuries. He wasn't cheated out of any money or given a bad contract. Johnny Manziel shot himself in the foot with a very long list of poor decisions for nearly six years straight.

136
Flickr

Johnny Manziel, star quarterback at Texas A&M and first-round draft pick for the Cleveland Browns in 2013, has not played a game of professional football since 2014. After getting drafted 22nd overall in the first round, Manziel went on to throw 0 touchdowns and 2 over five games and then 7 touchdowns and 5 interceptions the year after that.

Everything about the Manziel era with the Browns was bad. Bad decisions, bad media attention and most importantly, bad football. Manziel played so poorly, in fact, that he was cut before the end of his four year deal with the Browns concluded. To make matters worse, he wasn't picked up by another NFL team and was forced out of football.

A few years went by and I had thought the entire world had moved on from Johnny Football. But Manziel had other plans, apparently, as he recently signed a contract to play for the Canadian Football League's Montreal Alouettes.

I have a lot of gripes with the sports media world, mostly their tendency to overreact to anything and everything for page views and clicks (Steve Nash/Dwight Howard with the Lakers, Trae Young, Phil Mickelson at the U.S. Open, etc.). Manziel even has a podcast out with Barstool Sports featuring himself and his agent called "Comeback $ZN" and ESPN2 played hours of Manziel Texas A&M highlights before his CFL debut.

I wanted to wait until Johnny Manziel's first start in the CFL with the Montreal Alouettes before I wrote this post. In all honesty, I would have completely missed the game if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of media and social media coverage this one specific CFL game was getting. I didn't even know the CFL was in season and this was the first time I'd ever seen any CFL footage. I completely missed the game and just watched the highlights from the game.

Actually, there were no highlights because my timeline was flooded with video after video of Manziel throwing an interception. It happened four different times. Let's check his stat line real quick.

People, and I'm throwing Manziel into this, probably thought the CFL is a joke. In baseball terms, it's basically AAA and a lot of guys had to work for years just to reach a starting spot in the lineup. But these are highly skilled players and many of them have the potential to compete at the NFL level. Former Pro-Bowl players have gone down to play in the CFL and CFL All-Stars have gone on to have successful NFL careers.

But looking back at Manziel, I just want to take a look back at his timeline and let his history speak for its self. For the record, I think he ran out of second chances years ago.

January 2012 - Manziel is arrested for fighting in College Station

July 2013 - Manziel arrives late on two consecutive days of the Manning Passing Academy and completely skips the third day.

August 2013 - The NCAA investigates Manziel for allegedly signing memorabilia for cash.

August 2014 - Manziel is fined for showing up late to a team meeting for the Cleveland Browns.

August 2014 - Manziel gives the middle finger to the Washington Redskins' bench.

November 2014 - Manziel is inviolved in an early-morning altercation in a Cleveland apartment building.

December 2014 - Manziel is seen partying with Josh Gordon and misses team walkthrough the next day.

January 2015 - Manziel is involved in an altercation in a Houston nightclub.

May 2015 - Manziel is involved in an altercation at the At&T Byron Nelson golf event.

October 2015 - Manziel and his girlfriend at the time were stopped by police after reports the two were having a heated argument while driving. The police report indicated Manziel's girlfriend "was worried for her safety" and she had an abrasion on her arm.

November 2015 – Manziel was seen partying in Austin during the bye week. Information later leaks from the front office that Manziel had lied about the events.

January 2016 – Manziel is seen in Las Vegas during the Browns' regular season finale and misses a team meeting.

January 2016- Manziel comes to a team meeting inebriated, according to multiple reports.

February 2016 – Manziel is accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. She says Manziel hit her so hard in the ear the she ruptured hear eardrum.

February 2016 – NFL Network analysts report that the Browns lied about Manziel being in concussion protocol because he showed up drunk to practice.

February 2016 – Manziel is seen partying in a Miami nightclub hours after learning his domestic abuse case was being sent to the Dallas grand jury.

March 2016 – Manziel is cut from the Cleveland Browns.

April 2016 – A Dallas grand jury indicts Manziel on allegations of domestic abuse. The indictment accuses Manziel of "intentionally and knowingly causing bodily harm" to his girlfriend.

May 2016 – Manziel causes $90,000 in damages to a Mercedes rental and doesn't reimburse the vehicle's owner.

June 2016 – Manziel causes more than $40,000 in damages to a Los Angeles mansion that he rented in April.

June 2016 – The NFL reveals Manziel violated their substance-abuse policy and will face a suspension if he signs with a new NFL team.