8 Times A John Mayer Song Described Your Life Perfectly

The man is a lyrical genius. So much so, that he writes songs that are incredibly relatable.

354
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:John_Mayer_(352582868).jpg
Wikimedia

If you know me, you know I am in love with John Mayer. Everything about him. He is an amazing vocalist, songwriter, and guitarist. Something that I really love about the guy, though, is how often I find myself hardcore relating to the lyrics he writes. Here are eight songs to which I think more people than just me can relate.

1. Love on the Weekend

Pretty much, the entire song is John describing how excited he is for the weekend. Um, same. Of course, he incorporates the story of a girl and how he is going to be spending the weekend with her. This may not be true for all of us, but I can guarantee nearly everyone has a deep appreciation for the arrival of every weekend.

2. You're No One 'Til Someone Lets You Down

This song makes me laugh because it is so true. We've all been let down by someone before. Some cases are likely more disappointing than others, but we've all been there. He even talks about how "you" believed all people were kind and that they would never mess with you, but then sure enough they do. Moral of the story: you're no one 'til someone lets you down, kid.

3. On the Way Home

This song is a little bit less pessimistic, but it's also very heart-warming. One of my favorite lines in the song is found in the chorus, "Just remember on the way home, that you were never meant to feel alone." The song just talks about the course of life, and through that, I feel like we can all use a little reminder that we were never meant to feel alone.

4. If I Ever Get Around to Living

This is my life currently as I find myself in the middle of the fall semester. This song gets to a deeper level about living and all the things John would do if he could alter his life, but there is some definite truth in the fact that I think we often find ourselves caught up in the day-to-day bustle. It would sometimes be nice if we could ever get around to living.

5. Perfectly Lonely

Alright, this one lightens the mood a little bit. The lyrics are fun and talk about a time when John was lonely and totally okay with it. I love this song because, sometimes, we all reach a point in our life when we are perfectly lonely, and we should learn to be totally okay with it. He describes it as a "simple little kind of free," and I couldn't agree more.

6. Friends, Lovers, or Nothing

The title of this song alone probably describes a time where we have all been a little bit unsure of where we stand with another person. The actual song itself is a little sad and slow, but I thought the song title was fitting for the topic. Relationships are tricky, especially when they are just starting out or just ending. Figuring out whether you're friends, lovers, or nothing can be quite complicated.

7. My Stupid Mouth

John does a perfect job of describing a situation in which his stupid mouth has gotten him into trouble. Many of us have been on that nerve-wracking first date. I'm a rambler, so if I feel awkward, I just don't shut up and most likely end up saying something real stupid. I feel you, John.

8. Stop This Train

This song is a John Mayer classic. It is, once again, a song that pretty much is just talking about the path of life. He talks about how the "train" is moving too fast and he simply wants to get off and go home again. I know that, as I face the responsibilities of growing up and trying to adult, sometimes I would love nothing more than to "get off the train" and go back home. Toward the end of the song, though, his dad encourages him to never change the place he's in or stop the train. I think what he is trying to say is that, although life is crazy, we are exactly where we are supposed to be.

Of course, there are plenty more John Mayer songs that could be considered relatable. These are just to name a few. It seems that the best artists are those that are able to create a piece that people are able to whole-heartedly immerse themselves in. John Mayer has most certainly achieved this level.