How To Ace Your Job Interview

19 Helpful Tips For A Successful Job Interview

Why do you think we're all in college in the first place?

46

We all hate the interview process. I'm sure no one enjoys being in a room full of stern employees drilling you with a bunch of questions about your qualifications and existence. The sad truth is that we all have to do an interview at some point in our lives. However, not everyone is prepared for it. Believe it or not, a lot of college students still don't know how to properly do an interview.

Unfortunately, I don't see too many articles regarding this topic, which is scary. The majority of us readers and writers are college students and the one goal after graduation (or the entire purpose of attending college) is to land a job. Here are a few tips on how to nail your upcoming interview, which will have you walking out with confidence:

1. RESEARCH! RESEARCH! RESEARCH! Did I forget to say RESEARCH?

Yes, just like how you would do with a paper. The goal is to KNOW who you're working for. I can't stress this one enough. If you walk into an interview blind and say the wrong thing, that is on you. You can't just walk into a Burger King interview and talk about Chick-Fil-A. It's just not going to happen that way. You have to KNOW before you GO!

2. Make sure you show up on-time....maybe even EARLIER!

Employers love when you show up early because it shows that you're punctual and dedicated. Don't you want to be "punctual?" For example, if your meeting is at 11AM, you can show up at 10:30. You can even come earlier and sit in the lobby so you can have more time to study. But always show up to the actual office 30 minutes before. However, if your interview is at 2PM, don't show up at 10:30 because now you just threw everyone off.

3. If it helps, PRACTICE! (But don't memorize your answers)

Practicing is key to doing well. It's always good to know the topic, which shows that you're knowledgeable about the job. However, don't answer the questions like a reading comprehension question. You'll come off as fake and rehearsed. This isn't a Miss America pageant, let's be realistic.

4. If they ask you: "Tell us a little bit about yourself," PLEASE don't start with the day you were born.

They just want to know about your academic experiences, extracurricular activities, outside work and career goals. No one cares about your dog, boyfriend, how many shots you can take before alcohol poisoning, or your favorite food.

5. Please avoid wearing tight clothes...please.

I guarantee that employers won't hire you based on how good your boobs look in that blouse. Also, make sure that your hair is neat and not all over the place. Wearing Fashion Nova neon pants to an interview will not get you a call back.

6. Don't chew gum.

This is so obvious to the point where I'm asking myself why this is a point. But sadly, people do this because of nerves or their breath is kicking. If you have bad breath, actually brush your TONGUE....PLEASE! Avoid drinking coffee or eating something containing garlic. If you're going to chew gum, chew it before the interview or even eat a mint. A mint will dissolve faster.

7. Chill with the makeup...this is not Sephora.

Try something light such as a little bit on concealer, mascara, and a nude or light lip-gloss. If you need makeup for acne cover-up, go ahead! Too much makeup is asking to get rejected. The next thing you know, you might scratch your face by accident and get foundation all over the material and possibly on your clothes. Also, no one wants to be greeted by someone with raccoon eyes, spider lashes and heavy lipstick on their teeth.

(Unless you actually are applying to work at Sephora, do as you please.)

8. If you're stuck on a question, avoid using fillers such as "like" or "um."

Using fillers shows that you aren't knowledgeable and they're probably going to wonder what you're doing here in the first place. It's okay to take a pause.

9. Make sure your answers/selling-points are clear.

WHY DO YOU WANT THE JOB? WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHY ARE YOU WASTING OUR TIME? WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR US? You know, just keep those in mind. Sell yourself honey!

10. Don't cut the employer off when speaking.

Even if you know the information already, just shut up and listen. Remember, you're trying to impress them. Don't be rude and annoying. It's okay to be excited but listening is even better.

11. Always eat before the interview...and save room for flossing.

Food = fuel! Without food, your stomach might growl like crazy or you may feel lightheaded and out-of focus. If your interview is in the morning, eat something before. Don't eat in the car right before because your breath might stink. Even worse, you might have food stuck in your teeth and that is embarrassing. This leads me to my next point.

12. Make sure you have good posture/body language.

If you are slouching, it looks bad. Like in the previous point, if you don't have enough energy and feel light headed, it will affect your body language. If you're being interviewed back-to-back by 4+ employers, it will take a toll on you. Don't sit to the point where you look like you have a metal rod up your butt, but still.

13. Make sure you print out + bring in a copy of your resume, portfolio, etc. (even if the employers have it)

Always be prepared. Even if they ask you to send them portfolio work, resume, and cover letter electronically, it's always good to still print out extra copies in case. You never know if something can go wrong. For one of my interviews, my employer had a hard time printing out my PDF

14. Ask (relevant) questions!

Usually at the end of a meeting, the employer will ask if you have any more questions. Don't say "um," and try to think of something at the top of your head, because now it seems forced. If it helps, ask about the culture of the office and how employees get along. You can even ask about their experiences working for that company. If it's something about the company itself, ask statistical questions.

15. If you have any weaknesses, try to turn them into strengths and show them how you can overcome them.

We all have a weakness. Instead of highlighting your weakness, just explain how you work through it with a positive strength. Employers love improved workers. Also, most jobs now ask if you have a mental disability (i.e. anxiety, depression, bipolar). If you have a mental disability like anxiety, I strongly recommend that you DO NOT let them know. This is because they will assume that you cannot handle the job. You will also have to fill out paperwork and do a bunch of stuff that might be too much for you. I appreciate that most employers are trying to do this, but I feel like it is a trick for them to judge.

16. Don't ask about the salary/pay rate....DON'T.

The application itself will more likely have the salary amount before making it to the interview. Asking employers during the interview shows you're only here for the money and not necessarily your passion for the job. It would be a shame if your interview went well but then threw everything out the window over that question. If you got the job and if your employer actually BRINGS IT UP, then you guys can discuss further. But you aren't even on that level yet boo.

17. Be more personable and relatable.

No one wants a robot in their office. Your GPA and work ethic may be good, but if your attitude sucks, then you're definitely not getting a call back. Employers also like it when you relate to them because you have to remember that these might be your future co-workers. It shows that you will get along well with the rest of the staff. Connections such as a sorority/fraternity, where you are from and interests actually help with this! Don't get TOO personable to the point where you start going off topic.

18. Write a "Thank You" note!

Let them know that you appreciated their time! This also helps them remember you (for your generosity). Employers love when you show them that you are interested. They probably had to put many things aside in order to make time for your meeting. Sending a note is optional, but if you want to do this special act of kindness, it really helps distinguish you from other competitors. Just think, if someone is nice to you, you would want to be around them more. Don't be corny though.

19. Do not bombard the staff with follow-up emails or stalk them on social media.

It's always good to follow-up ONLY if you haven't heard from them in a reasonable time. If it's been months, then you probably didn't get the job. Please don't harass the staff immediately after the interview because that will blow your chances. Not only that but now they're just going to think you're creepy as hell. I also wouldn't stalk them on social media either...just don't.