6 Things To Tell Yourself 6 Minutes Before A Job Interview

"I can do this."

475

Recently, I just got a new job as a patient coordinator (wooo my first big girl, full time job). Being as this was the first time I was ever applying for a full time job, I was nervous. Sure, I had done job interviews before; but they were different. I had had job interviews for McDonald's, Old Navy, and a nanny job. So, those interviews weren't serious and the one I had for McDonald's could not have lasted longer than 5 minutes (he basically asked me why I wanted to work there, when I could start, and if I had any questions). Similarly, the Old Navy interview was easy - tell them a little about me, why I wanted to work there, and I had to put together an outfit, I was there for 15 minutes. But this one... this one was different. This was a job with an esteemed OB/GYN office and they weren't going to be playing the "tell me your favorite color" game. They wanted to know why I wanted to work there, how I was qualified, and how I would be beneficial to the company. So, I was excited... but nervous. Nonetheless, I got the job - thanks to a few helpful things I told myself during the drive there and the walk in. So, I thought I would share my good tips and tricks for positive things to tell yourself as you are getting out of your car and walking into the building to go to a job interview.

1. "I am qualified." One thing I repeatedly kept thinking was "I have no experience in health care or working with insurances. Why would they have called me back? I'm not qualified!" But, my extensive background in customer service boosted me. If someone calls you to do an interview after reading your application, you are obviously qualified for the job in some degree.

2. "They already sort of like me." For me, my job interview was not the first time I met with the woman who hired me. I had to come in a week prior and do an assessment on my reasoning skills, so I had already seen her and gotten my first impression over with. Though, not every job interview will be like that. But, if they do call you back for an interview - to some degree, they already like you. In the job interview, just make them like you even more.

3. "I have done this before." Chances are if you are over the age of 18, this is not your first job interview. While job interviews are scary and can be intimidating, you have done them before; and you survived them. This time will be no different.

4. "I can do this." These simple four words will immediately boost your confidence. Just keep saying them over and over and over again.

5. "Deep breaths." Most people react to the stress of interviews by overthinking and hyperventilating. That is not going to look good in front of a potential employer. Take deep breaths, get yourself together, and get out there.

6. "It's game time." I don't know about you, but I'm super competitive. When I put it in my head that this interview was going to be similar as if I was playing some world championship or the olympics, I immediately knew I did not want to and could not lose.

Happy hiring, go get 'em tiger!