5 Reasons Why The Jersey Shore Is Great

5 Reasons Why The Jersey Shore Is Great

And I’m not talking about the TV show.

134
5 Reasons Why The Jersey Shore Is Great

As a native of the Jersey Shore, I have grown very fond of my environment and all it has to offer. From its food to its music scene, the Jersey Shore is one of the most exciting places to be on the Atlantic Coast.

Outsiders may poke fun at us New Jerseyans due to negative representations present in modern media, but the reality is that we actually are the best people living in the best place.

That statement may come off as arrogant, and it's supposed to. Remember, I’m from the Jersey Shore. I’m an arrogant person.

Anyways, here is why the Jersey Shore is the absolute best place on Earth!

1. The Beach

Okay, you may be thinking, “How are the beaches on the Jersey Shore any different than other places?" Well, see for yourself!

The vibe that accompanies the JS is indescribable. There’s nothing more enjoyable for me than basking under the summer sun while my pale Irish skin burns to a crisp. When I go to the beach with my family, I prefer Avon or Bradley Beach. These are beautiful locations to post up for a long beach day.

When I’m with my friends, however, my go-to is Tradewinds Beach in Sea Bright. Not only is this beach closest in proximity to my house, but it's free and I’m a penniless college kid just trying to have some fun. Either way, the beach is always a fun time.

2. The Pork Roll

That’s right, I said the P word. There is no debate. Since being in college, I have met a plethora of individuals who have been indoctrinated into believing that it is actually called “Taylor Ham”. Wrong.

This succulent breakfast item is a staple throughout the Jersey Shore. My hometown, Middletown, has a reputation for churning out the most delicious breakfast sandwiches known to mankind. During the summer, I often make the trek across town to Slater’s, a small breakfast joint, for my fix of pork roll, egg, and cheese.

I’m salivating at the thought of it right now. Pork roll has ultimately changed my life for the better. Bacon will never regain its appeal.

3. The Music

There’s just something so special about the music scene of the JS. From Bruce Springsteen to Bon Jovi, this area has historically churned out talented musicians. I am very familiar with the punk rock scene that has emerged in the past decade instigated by The Gaslight Anthem’s rise to prominence.

In addition to the success stories that have spawned, the Shore is also home to numerous concert venues, most of which are situated in Asbury Park. Places such as the Stone Pony, Wonder Bar, and House of Independents have gained notoriety nationwide by hosting popular musicians.

In fact, I have tickets to see the Bouncing Souls, another Jersey-based collective, at the Stone Pony Summerstage in August. Needless to say, I am FREAKING PUMPED!

4. The People

When people think of the Jersey Shore, they usually envision a bunch of spray-tanned 20-somethings bar-hopping and getting into fights with one another. While I concede that these assumptions are somewhat accurate, they do not attest to the character of Shore people.

A majority of the individuals I’ve met during my tenure as a JS resident have been friendly and outgoing. I’ve befriended people with similar interests as myself and produced memories on the Shore to last a lifetime. The stigma attached to people from the Jersey Shore is unfair. Just because we’re crazy doesn’t mean we’re not good, fun people. Y’all just hate us 'cause you ain’t us.

I wouldn’t trade the friends I’ve made at home for the world. They’re all amazing people with limitless potential who’ve assisted me through some dark times, and I’m more than grateful for them.

5. It’s Home

The Jersey Shore is home. It has been and always will be home. I may go to school in South Jersey, and I may live other places in the future, but nothing will ever match the Jersey Shore. I hope that, one day, I can retire in a nice Asbury Park condo with a view facing the Shore.

For now, I can only dream, but someday it will be reality.