J.D. Martinez Is FINALLY On The Red Sox

J.D. Martinez Is FINALLY On The Red Sox

It's time to party, Red Sox Nation!

1235
J.D. Martinez Is FINALLY On The Red Sox
Flickr/Don question

Rejoice, Red Sox Nation! After many months of me complaining to you readers, on my radio show, to my friends, on social media, to random people on the street, to even myself, J.D Martinez is FINALLY a Boston Red Sox!

Let's break this trade down. Going into the offseason after a crushing loss in the ALDS to the Houston Astros, the Red Sox knew what they needed: a power bat. For months, they sat around, looking the other way as the Yankees restocked their arsenal and got ready to take over the AL East handily. When they re-signed Mitch Moreland, and I narrowed my eyes and said, "They better not think that Mitch Moreland can fill the gaping hole that David Ortiz left in this lineup when he retired." For so very, very long (it was only like two months, but it really felt like centuries) it seemed like that was, in fact, what the Red Sox were thinking.

Until Monday afternoon, when the news broke that the Red Sox and J.D. Martinez had come to terms on a 5-year, $110 million dollar deal.

I love this deal. I was so, so nervous that the Red Sox weren't going to learn from their mistakes (@ Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, and Rusney Castillo) and were going to sign a long, expensive deal.

Originally, there were reports that the Red Sox were willing to give him $125 million over 6 years. Martinez and his agent, the infamous Scott Boras, reportedly wanted 8 years, $210 million.

That the Red Sox signed him to this deal is a very, very good sign. It means they're actually learning from their past mistakes, which I really love. This decision was also probably helped because of the fact that other free agents (i.e. Eric Hosmer) were signing nowhere near that $210 figure.

I'm so happy about this trade (if you couldn't tell). I don't want to take the credit for this one, but I have to say my constant derision of this team probably had something to do with this trade (it really didn't). Does this mean that the Red Sox are going to be the favorites to win the AL East this season? Probably not. But it really, really helps their chances. Next week I'll probably talk about how the Yankees are still a better offensive team, but right now, I'm just going to enjoy this one. Now when the hell is Opening Day gonna get here?