We Need Diplomats Who Want A More Equitable World, Not The President's Son-In-Law

Jared and Ivanka are not elected officials, have no diplomatic experience, and certainly should not be dictating policy in the Middle East.
293

Jared Kushner, a real-estate developer, and his wife, a designer and businesswomen who are now both Senior Advisors to the President, were all smiles at the opening of the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem. President Trump has repeatedly stated that Jared Kushner is the only person in the world that can bring peace to the Middle East. Reflecting back on this grotesque weekend in Gaza, he is the last person to bring peace in the Middle East.

Forty miles away from the new relocation of the U.S. Embassy, a massacre was happening. An estimated 58 Palestinians were killed, with the youngest victim being an eight-month-old, with approximately 2,700 injured, according to the Gaza Ministry of Health.

The tension and violence between Gaza and Israel is a familiar one, yet Monday was the deadliest day in Gaza since 2014. Social media was quick to point out the drastic images of Ivanka and Jared celebrating while miles away protesters were being killed. This immediately gained the attention of many politicians around the world, yet only three American politicians spoke out against the violence, most notably Senator Bernie Sanders.

The role of Ivanka and Jared, in attempting to bring "peace" was mocked on talk shows, and op-eds, and rightly so. Most notably, it was Michelle Goldberg's opinion piece for the New York Times titled "A Grotesque Spectacle in Jerusalem" that was talked about the most:

"The juxtaposition of images of dead and wounded Palestinians and Ivanka Trump smiling in Jerusalem like a Zionist Marie Antoinette tell us a lot about America’s relationship to Israel right now. It has never been closer, but within that closeness there are seeds of potential estrangement."

Opinions about Javanka's role didn't stop there: Stephen Colbert of "Late Night" characterized this all as a global mess, where "Now we’ve just got to destabilize Antarctica and we’ll have global crisis bingo,” joked Colbert.

This morning, on Wednesday, May 16th, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, walked out as soon as the Palestinian delegation spoke. Though I am only 19, I do know this about international politics: You have to listen to everyone, and give everyone an opportunity to speak. Peace will never happen if dirty politics is being played, and will definitely not happen if you are not listening to the other side.

Much of the world has condemned the killings in Gaza, yet the United States and Israel have not, and will not. It seems like every year occurrences such as these play out, but it is time for the international community to let Palestinians speak on behalf of Palestine, not Jared Kushner or Ivanka.

This past weekend clearly showed Jared's failure, and his disregards to the Palestinian people.

So, for the sake of world peace, let's have diplomats with the right education, and expertise, who wholeheartedly want a better, more equitable world where everyone is treated with dignity, respect, be the ones providing feedback and analysis of foreign policy, and not a real state developer who happens to be the President's son-in-law.