“It’s A Darty, It’s A Darty, It’s A Darty”

197

The sun is shining and the weather has FINALLY warmed up to seasonal norms, (about time if you ask me), and that can only mean one thing – darty season. Yes, my friends, these glorious days that we refer to as dartying are well underway, here, at the University of Alabama. There’s almost nothing better than these exceptional excuses to throw a party. I could talk about the many reasons why day parties are my favorite part of spring semester, but that’s not the point of this week’s column. Instead of talking about the greatness of dartying, today, we will be discussing the appropriate dartying attire that all males should take into account before heading to the fraternity house for a day of zero worries and debauchery.                 
There are many variations of things to bring and wear to a day party, but before we discuss those, let’s begin by taking a look at what not to sport at a day party. 
You’re trying too hard
When it comes to attending a day party, there’s almost, and let me stress the word almost, an anything goes policy. Although this may be true, here are two things you should try your best to avoid. 
 1. Stay away from looking like a try-hard who clearly visits Total Frat Move way too often. Wearing a neon tank top that reads “Frat Hard Frat Often” and American flag Chubbies are most certainly not pulling a TFM. Instead, you’ll have everyone at the party secretly thinking GTFO, myself included. You will look like the fish out of water that you probably are. 
2. Wearing a nice pair of khaki shorts and a nice tucked in button down may be the norm for a night out at the bars, however, at a day party you look like you’re going to a church picnic, not a darty. You also look like the few random rushee’s roaming around the party who never got the memo that shorts and a t-shirt are fine. You won’t look like as much of an outsider as the TFM try-harder might, but you clearly don’t look like an insider. 
Now we’re talking
We know that you’re aware that wearing your Rowdy Gentleman tank may not be the best idea to sport at the day party. Now we will list what is acceptable to sport at various day parties here at the University of Alabama. 
Instead of wearing some flamboyant neon tank top, why not wear a jersey? It doesn’t matter if you cheer for the team you’re representing, and quite frankly, no one cares. Regardless of what you chose to wear, you are guaranteed to fit in with the rest of the party goers.   
You’re looking the part on top, now it’s time to look the part on the bottom. How can that be done? By wearing Chacos. Everyone and their mother will be wearing Chacos at the party and you should too. Screw individuality. If Jesus wasn’t too good to wear strappy sandals, then you certainly aren’t above it. 
Jersey, check. Chacos, check. What are you missing? A funnel or dizzy bat. You will certainly be towing a fine line between looking like a TFM’er or your everyday college student, but who is honestly going to judge someone for bringing paraphernalia that’s going to help turn their day up a notch or two? Everyone appreciates the life of the party.   
All right, so far you’ve got your jersey, Chacos and your funnel ready to go. You already look the part, so congratulations. There’s just one final piece to the puzzle, and that would be showing up to the darty with an empty stomach. I don’t think there is a day party on campus that doesn’t have at least some type of food, whether it's ribs, crawfish boil, burgers or what have you. If they don’t, then it’s hardly a darty. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of this delicious and free food that is just steps away from your inebriated and most likely hungry self. 
So, there you have it. Get out there and enjoy some of the finest parties Alabama has to offer.