It's Your Chance To Make A Lasting Change

You can end stereotypes.

33

Over the course of the past several weeks, I've gotten the chance to express my ideas over stereotypes; about how hurtful they can be, and about the lasting and damaging effect that they leave. There are countless to name and countless to chose from. All in all, this series could extend itself for months, or even longer, but today I'd like to culminate with a few that have come to my attention that I will chose to express in this article alone.

One of those is ethnic stereotypes. There's a feeling of disgust you sense when you hear something about somebody's ethnicity. Nobody likes to be called "ghetto" because they're black, or "good at math" because they're Asian. Hispanics do not like being called "job stealers," or whatever it is they're called these days. Outside of stereotypes focused on race and ethnicity, it's come to my attention that there are several stereotypes pertaining to those with disabilities, conditions and disorders. There's absolutely no need for shame in the life of an individual who was not made the same as yourself. We are all different people with different unique and complex minds, who are still individuals nonetheless.

We are all human, we all eat and sleep, and make some of the same mistakes. Just because an individual's mind works differently than your own does not give you the right or the permission to give out a statement that scars and damages another person. We come in different shapes, colors, and sizes. You don't need to be considered anorexic for being "too thin" or vice versa for not being an "ideal" weight. One of my best friends is extremely thin, and let me tell you, that boy can eat. It also helps that he's a towering 6'2, but there's nothing anorexic about him. The first time he stepped into a Whataburger, he started with a triple cheese burger and still had room for cinnamon rolls. Just because you look a certain way, does not mean that you have to "be" a certain way. If I had even a penny for every time I've heard or read a hurtful comment that singled out an individual or a community of individuals in a derogative manner, and labeled that person or that group with a stereotype, I'd have so much money, I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Every day we have the opportunity to stop a stigma, to stand up for someone when we hear that derogatory comment. We have an opportunity to change your own way of thinking, and get rid of a label you yourself have used in the past. The choice is truly yours. One day at a time, a difference can be made, but it starts with you and with what you want to do with the opportunity you're given. Don't miss out on the opportunity to do right by someone else, even if it has "nothing to do" with you.