It's Time To Take Action

It's Time To Take Action

I am fed up with all the violence in this great country. All this talk and yet no reform. One shooting is one too many, so let's do what we Americans do best and defend ourselves and our fellow Americans.

503
It's Time To Take Action

It's time to start talking about gun violence and gun control reform. NRA don't jump down my throat, I am not saying diminish all guns or impede on Americans' Second Amendment Right. I am saying there needs to be a better interpretation of our Founders' meaning of, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."In their time, "Arms" were muskets. Today, "Arms" stretches across a multitude of weapons, including automatics.

This is not just a mental health issue or just a gun control issue, but a combination of the two.

The Founding Fathers put the Second Amendment in the Constitution to allow Americans to protect themselves against, at the time, Britain's standing armies. Today, America has Posse Comitatus, which is a law stating that the American government cannot deploy American Troops on American soil. Military personnel and SWAT teams are the only people who legally have automatic weapons. Since they cannot, and would not, lawfully attack citizens, there is no need for citizens to have automatics.

On a Federal level, there is no requirement for licensure to purchase a gun. However, some states do have this requirement. According to the Washington Post, 18 states (CA, CO, CT, DE, HI, IA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NC, NE, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, WA) and Washington DC require extended background checks. Six of those states (IA, MD, MI, NC, ND, PA) only require extended background checks for the purchase of handguns where as the other 12 states require extended background checks for the purchase of all guns. 13 states (CA, CT, HI, IA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NC, NE, NJ, NY, RI) and Washington DC require a permit to purchase a gun. Seven of those states only require a permit to purchase a hand gun (IA, MD, MN, NC, NE, NY, RI) while the other six states require a permit for the purchase of all guns.

According to the National Rifle Association - Institute for Legal Action (NRA-ILA), this is the official list of requirements which prohibit someone from purchasing a firearm:

• Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
  • Fugitives from justice.
  • Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
  • Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
  • Illegal aliens.
  • Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
  • Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  • Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
  • Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.
  • Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
  • Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

I have highlighted the requirement I believe needs the most attention.

For me, I believe there needs to be a Federal requirement for extended background checks for those purchasing any firearm in every state. In addition, I believe there needs to be a more extensive and thorough check of one's mental health during those background checks. Furthermore, I believe the requirement for prohibition needs to extend to not only those who have been deemed as "mental defectives" in a court of law, but also to those who are deemed that same mental health condition according to a professional psychiatrist. Just because a judge or a jury did not deem someone as "mental defectives" does not mean they are responsible and appropriately motivated to own a gun.

Gun purchasing does not stop at the door of a shop. Illegal gun trade is an issue that has an even more difficult solution. This problem is not going to stop with the passing of a law, but we can all work together to put an end to these heinous acts. "See something, say something" does not just apply to possible terror attacks, but any threat that is posed to the general public. Together, we can find a way to make our America, and our world, a safer place.

Citations:

Giffords Law Center. “Licensing.” Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, 2017,

lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/gun-owner-responsibilities/licensing/#federal.

NRA-ILA. “Citizen's Guide To Federal Firearms Laws - Summary.” NRA-ILA, 24 Mar. 2004,

www.nraila.org/articles/20040324/citizen-s-guide-to-federal-firearms-law.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20040324/citizen-s...