It's Okay To Miss Home

It's Okay To Miss Home

As we are all preparing to head out for college, just remember it's okay to miss home.

13

It's okay to miss home.

You don't have to feel ashamed or embarrassed if you're homesick. You shouldn't feel bad for going home and visiting often. Because whether you miss your mom, your dog, or even your bed, it's okay to miss home.

I want to make it clear why it's okay. I feel when we enter college there is a newfound sense of freedom. Some people use this freedom to party, some people use this freedom to stay up late, or some people change their look or style. Despite how people express their freedom, I feel as though there is a stigma or storm cloud brewing over everyone's head that you should not miss home because college is supposed to be the best time of your life. And that is true.

College can truly be one of the best times of your life. Whether you meet new friends, fall in love, pursue your passions, or watch your dreams come alive, there is one message that should prevail: Just because you're away doesn't mean you can't miss home. Just because you could be having the most fun you've ever had, doesn't mean you can't be missing Sunday dinners at Grandma's house. Just because you just got a newly found freedom doesn't mean you can't miss someone watching over you.

Regardless of what you're missing or how you're feeling, go home whenever. Don't let anyone judge you for going home the first few weeks of school. Don't feel bad for calling your mom once a day. Don't feel bad for constantly texting your sister and asking for pictures of your dog. Ultimately, it's okay to miss home, so don't feel bad about it.