It Is Okay To Go To A Junior College

It Is Okay To Go To A Junior College

Most junior colleges offer students a chance to discover their career goals without stretching their wallet.

17
It Is Okay To Go To A Junior College

There tends to be a misconception that junior college is ‘silly college’ and is only attended by those not serious in obtaining a four-year degree. Although junior colleges offer vocational courses and associate degrees, they also offer lower division course work that is transferable to a four-year university. Junior college is a good choice for those indecisive about their career goals. It’s an inexpensive way to figure out what a student wishes to accomplish, and most prepare students for a university.

Most junior colleges require orientations, which introduce a student to the universities’ campus, as well as student life and important campus resources. An orientation is helpful since it allows a student to know the expectations of the college, along with providing information that’s required to transfer to a university. If a junior college does not require orientation, it’s highly recommended to attend anyway.

A majority of junior colleges offer support services, such as accommodations for disabilities, financial aid, psychological and medical services. The resources may not be as readily available as a four-year university, but they are provided for any student who needs them. Some junior colleges offer programs that benefit low-income first generations students.

Although the workload at a four-year college is harder than at a junior college, most junior college professors help students transition into the university level coursework.In fact, some of these professors assign the sixty-page readings that are due by next class, or the anatomy lab exams that are write-in only. However, many professors make office hours readily available to students and give students efficient feedback on major assignments and tests. Professors also hold accountability over student’s actions, which is similar to professors at a four-year college.

Advisors at the junior college level are equally as helpful as university level advisors. Most are available via drop-in or scheduled appointments and go through step by step what students need help with. Many of them provide an academic plan for students that details what courses they need to take in order to transfer, similar to an academic plan at a university. It is helpful to find an advisor that is compatible with a student’s academic needs, and schedule regular appointments with them. Unlike a university, some junior colleges only have general education advisors.

It is also recommended to speak to an advisor about transfer requirements since different colleges ask for different criteria. Transferring to a four-year college can be difficult and confusing without knowing which junior colleges courses are applicable to a four-year college. In addition, a student should do his or her own research, in order to be prepared to transfer, and not have to repeat a lower division course at a university.

For anyone unsure of their goals after high school, or as a young adult, junior college is an inexpensive chance to take classes and figure out one’s degree. Besides allowing a study to save their money before attending a university, they offer most of the services available at a four-year college, albeit on a smaller scale.