It's Going Down, I'm Yelling TINDERRR

It's Going Down, I'm Yelling TINDERRR

20
It's Going Down, I'm Yelling TINDERRR

The real question is whether to swipe left or swipe right. And if it’s a match, are you bold enough to send a message?

For those who do not know, Tinder is a new media device for dating. Many people use Tinder seriously, while others use it as another app for passing time. To enter the Tinder game you create a profile of 1-5 pictures and an optional caption. You set what age range, gender, and location distance. You are ready to play. If you think he or she is cute, swipe right. If not, swipe left. If the same person swiped right on you, finding you physically attractive, you and that person are matched. Next, you and your match are given the option to start a conversation or to continue to play.

Many people question whether or not this is a safe dating service because everything is based upon physical appearance. It has been proven that relationships do last longer if you are actually compatible and not only physically attracted to one another. The only way to see if you are truly compatible to your match is if you message one another, allowing you to get to know each other. However, this can still be dangerous due to false profiles and bad incentives. Just beware of stranger danger before messaging someone.

With Valentine’s Day coming up, I have observed that Tinder usage is escalating, especially with females. Many believe that it isn’t too late to find their tinderella or prince charming. Who cares if you talk or meet through Tinder. If you like him and he likes you, so be it. As my roommate always advises, “Do you.” Do what is good for you and what you desire without caring about what others will say or think. If you want to be on Tinder, do it. If you want to message someone a cheesy pick up line, do it. Or if your match asks for your number and you don’t mind giving it, do it. Do what you want, but be safe.

Don’t be embarrassed to be on Tinder. Don’t hide your phone in class while you are on. Everyone does it, even if they won’t admit it. It’s fun and an easy way to get to know people. If your mile radius is not large, chances are these people go to the same University as you or live nearby so meeting wouldn’t be an issue. From experience, almost every guy I see on Tinder is from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Therefore, it is very easy to have mutual friends. If you begin to think this Tinder relationship may go somewhere, ask some mutual friends about your special Tinder friend and maybe you can all hang out. But is this real life? Do people actually find their “boo” through Tinder?

It is not extremely rare to date someone from Tinder. I have met two Tinder couples myself and have to admit that they are quite adorable and mesh very well. Kathleen is three months in her relationship with a Tinder boy that she now calls her boyfriend and advises her fellow Tinder players, “Don’t be scared. You have nothing to lose. Break your guard down and let someone random in. I personally messaged Spencer a cheesy pick up line and look where it got me. It might work out, you never know!” Kathleen and her boyfriend may be a small percent of successful relationships that come from Tinder, but never hold back and fear of what might be. After all, Valentine’s Day is nearing.  Step up your Tinder game.