8 Signs It's Finally Sweet Summertime

8 Signs It's Finally Sweet Summertime

Summer time is on my mind and I can't wait for the memories it brings.

192
8 Signs It's Finally Sweet Summertime
Catherine Turner Parker

Summer is one my favorite times of the year. Most of my summer is spent soaking up the sun and dreading the day that it turns into fall. Here are some of my favorite summer memories from my childhood.

1. Lake Trips

As a child, I can remember basically living at the lake. My family has a house on Santee, and I like to call it my summer getaway. There really is nothing better than spending hot summer days soaking up the sun on the dock and jumping in the water to cool off. My mornings were spent drinking coffee and learning about life from my dad. The afternoons were spent on the boar in search of alligators in Potato Creek. The nights were spent grilling out, playing corn hole, and watching the sun make its descent on the water.

2. Learning How To Ski

Days at the lake were always spent in the water. As a child, my dad wanted each of his children to learn how to ski, kneeboard, or wakeboard. I can remember sitting in the water with a blue life vest as my dad screamed for me to stand up on my little skis. Tears were definitely shed in the process, but what I realize now is that it was not about learning how to ski, rather it was about spending time with my dad.

3. Family Beach Week

Every summer, my family takes a trip to Litchfield By the Sea. It is a quaint oceanside community that is perfect for lazy summer days. My family spends the week soaking up the sun on the hot sand, watching the sunrise, taking our Boykin Spaniel, Lizzie for walks, bike rides, making French toast, and searching for shark’s teeth and seashells.

4. Watermelon On The Fourth of July

As a child, one of my favorite parts of Fourth of July was eating watermelon. After spending the day splashing in the water and taking boat rides, eating watermelon was the perfect way to end the day.

5. Firework Shows

There is just something about watching fireworks light up the sky on a hot summer night.

6. Homemade Ice Cream

Making homemade ice cream is a tradition unlike any other. I can remember listening to the machine churn as I early awaited to fix my bowl of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup and m&m’s.

7. Watching Sunsets

I love watching sunsets no matter where I am. I love watching the summer day slowly fade away into the night. The summer sky transforms into a blank blue canvas into one that is inundated with hues of orange, red, and yellow.

8. Visiting The Happy Berry

Oh, The Happy Berry. I think my dad would be in shock that this one of my favorite summer memories. For those of you who do not know what The Happy Berry is, it is a fruit farm near Seneca, South Carolina. Every summer, my family takes a trip to Lake Keowee and goes blueberry and blackberry picking at The Happy Berry. The trip was full of sweat and complaints, but my grandmother’s homemade blackberry and blueberry made it worth it.

I hope you enjoyed hearing a few of my favorite summer memories. I look forward to making new memories this summer and hope that you will make some of your own.