It's About Time to Say "No" to Misogyny

It's About Time to Say "No" to Misogyny

Rest in peace Ruth Bader Ginsburg...

13
It's About Time to Say "No" to Misogyny

After hearing about the passing away of Ruth Bader Ginsburg yesterday, I started to get worried about the future of women's rights and activism. As females, we already have lost so much to the male dominated world we live in. Whether it's being able to sign a mortgage without a man or the right for women to still be able to work while they are pregnant or have kids, Ginsburg has changed the times for anyone living in the U.S. who identified as a female. But now, the future is uncertain and it's a bit discomforting knowing that it may be more difficult to reinstate her legacy. Misogyny is very real and still existent in today's society. Women are still being perceived as objects or property and sometimes even to a lesser degree. How do we go about something that's already ingrained in the world we live in?

I always grew up being interested in the news and women's rights. Susan B. Anthony has always been one of my role models. The way she advocated for women's rights and persevered through it made me feel passionate about fighting for something I believe in (not to sound cliche or anything). We are always told to conform and follow the rules, when we actually end up making a huge difference and even changing the world when we don't follow the rules we are given. Now that I think about most of the activists in history, many of them were rebelling against what was already told for them to do. This inspired me to think outside the box more and maybe not see things in a 180 degree angle all the time.

Let's be real, misogyny is not going away anytime soon. We, as women have put up with so much garbage for being the gender we are. People are repeating history's mistakes every single time they act misogynistic. Given that some of the current and past world leaders have been misogynistic, it doesn't come as a surprise that a plain Joe would be as well. So what is it about misogyny that makes people want to spread it more to others? I see misogyny as a drug that induces people to want to act a certain way. Once someone acts misogynistic, they become addicted to that feeling of misogyny. It's a way of claiming power. But what power would there be if they are doing the same thing over and over again?

I want to find a way to eliminate this drug called misogyny. It is harmful to the environment and even lethal, when taken to the extreme. Many people are damaged mentally and physically because of this drug. The sake of humanity is becoming more unknown to us everytime someone looks down on a woman or even harrasses them for being a woman. Being a woman is not a fault or a sin. It's a privilege and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. We should be proud that we are part of the female population and that we strive to be who we are, even in this day and age where dehumanizing women still exists the same.