It Was a Day Like Any Other...Until It Wasn't
News

Remembering, So We Walk With Those Who Can Never Forget

29
8tracks.com

Tomorrow is a moment in history that brings immense empathy for all of us who call ourselves Americans. Each September as the day nears, I get this uneasy feeling, kind of like I feel when I have an appointment I dread; that feeling down deep in my stomach that something is not right. Then, I remember, September 11th is approaching. I was not touched by it personally, not in the way those who lost loved ones were. But I feel the pain in a different sense, as a member of a nation whose heart was ripped apart, just as the towers that were filled with the souls that never left were ripped apart by the planes driven by those filled with hate, who understood nothing about what America stood for – brotherly love, comradery, pride, faith, and a care for their fellow man that makes a bond that can never be broken by tragedy. In America, tragedy, though it scars us, pulls us tighter together, like a broken vase, mended by tears, prayer, and the promise to never forget or let down our guard, lest it happen again.

I have included fragments of stories from survivors of that terrible day and their stories of triumph. One thing is vividly apparent in each one's story; they do not need a reminder of that awful day's event, each horrific detail is forever ingrained in their heart and soul, as is starkly evident as they share their personal recount of that day.

This article is my way of honoring them, and all who are not here to tell their stories, but who I hope we will remember each time the calendar rolls around to the date of September 11, and their loved ones each time we pray. May we honor the sacrifice of those who gave their lives willingly that day, and those who were unknowingly a part of the tragedy – Americans all; brothers and sisters, moms and dads, some of the unsung heroes who sacrificed their lives to save another, some of them united by one small object that brought them together.

An inanimate object that brought two survivors together. https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/a-strange-9-11-coincidence-united-these-two-strangers/14927

Tragedy and triumph; "We will not be defeated. We are America": John Harrington's rare photographs https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/rare-and-resilient-photographs/15024?auto=true

Eyewitness accounts from heroic Pentagon survivors; "Don't leave anybody behind" – "In the Navy, we're taught honor courage and commitment and not to leave anybody behind" – David Tarantino. https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/eyewitness-accounts-from-heroic-pentagon-survivors/14926?auto=true

The sacrifice of the team of Americans on Flight 93 who gave their lives to save the lives of others: https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/these-intact-objects-were-found-in-the-wreckage-of-flight-93/14928?auto=true

Four airplanes. Nearly three-thousand victims. One unimaginable tragedy. The terrible events of September 11, 2001 will never be forgotten. https://www.amazon.com/11-Stories-Fragments-Molly-Hermann/dp/B0094PXS42

Trailer for Movie. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094PXS42?pf_rd_p=183f5289-9dc0-416f-942e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=7FNRNDRWMC58E31910G0

I was not personally affected by this tragedy by losing someone, but as an American and the daughter of a deeply patriotic Army veteran, and sister of an Army veteran as well, I felt empathy for all those who were, and felt a personal violation of the country I hold dear and all its values. My dad could talk for hours about planes like the one he flew in during WWII. He spoke with pride and love for His country. I only saw my dad cry once in my life, lying on a hospital bed through pain as he fought for his life while cancer took that life away. Seeing those planes hit the towers I am sure would have brought tears to his eyes both for sadness and for pride for the fellow soldiers/heroes like him who were willing to give their lives for their country and fellow Americans.

My Dad; small pic my brothers and I

I remember the events of the day as though it was yesterday. I was on the road when it happened, taking my daughter to her violin lesson. When I arrived at our destination, all the doors to the building were locked. I remember thinking how strange as you could see people were there. Of course, once we were let in the building, we were told what had happened. We rushed home and watched in tears the events of the morning unfold in unbelief.

I hope you will take time to watch the attachments, and remember the people who were affected personally, the ones who gave all that day. And as you remember, I hope you will also remember families who have soldiers fighting for our freedom now to keep evil off our shores. And as you feel sadness and triumph of that day listening to the stories, remember what it means to be an American and remember the words spoken by one of the heroes of this dreadful day, "We will not be defeated…We are America." We will also never forget you!!