It’s All Good In The Sistahood

It’s All Good In The Sistahood

47

Because of sisterhood, I made friends. I love to meet new people and try new things, so when I went through recruitment, I actually liked it. I loved having conversations with the girls in houses and girls in my rush group and girls on my floor who were going through it, as well.

I made my forever friends in my sorority. I met the girls whom I know will be at my wedding and will be there when I land my first big job and for the birth of my future kiddos. I made an entire chapter's worth of friends on bid day but, not only that, I made friends who ended up joining other houses or not joining a chapter at all. If I hadn’t gone through recruitment, I wouldn’t have met some of the best people in my life who I know will be my friends all through college and beyond.

Because of sisterhood, I became philanthropic. When I was going on college visits in high school, my dad would always joke with me about how the sororities will pitch to us all about their philanthropy when going through recruitment, and I did not believe his descriptions of how big of a deal it is. Being in a sorority is so much fun for a ton of different reasons and philanthropy is definitely one of them. I enjoy giving back and raising money for a cause. I was a co-chair for our most recent philanthropy event – a pancake brunch – and it was hard work, but I loved every second of it. I loved the feeling of knowing that you were making a difference. Joining a sorority opened my eyes to so many more opportunities to support other causes and have fun doing it.

Because of sisterhood, I have gained life experience. Since joining my chapter less than a year ago, I have learned so much about the real world. I have had the chance to be both a leader and a follower through philanthropy, sisterhood and Panhellenic events. I have learned social skills in situations from exchanges to job interviews. Through the support of my sisters, I have learned how to handle myself when my world seems to be falling apart around me. I have learned the value of trying new things and going new places and getting involved with my school and I don’t think I would have gotten anywhere near the level of encouragement I get if I hadn’t joined my sorority.

Because of sisterhood, I found home away from home. I am not a homebody, whatsoever. I love being away from home and I love to travel and vacation, and all that jazz. However, I was not expecting to miss home as much as I did. I became so homesick when I realized I hardly knew anyone at this school and the work load of first semester came down on my shoulders. My sisterhood made me feel instantly at home – the greatest support system I could ever ask for. I have also learned to be that support system for others. Isn’t that what this is all about? Sisterhood is family and family is home and I found my home here in my chapter.

I am so lucky to be a part of a sisterhood in college and I think that every sorority girl can agree with me that it has given me more than I ever expected. I can’t wait to be a part of this chapter, not just for the rest of my college career but forever. ~Livin’ with my sistas #live~