It Is Your Timeline, It Won't Look Like Anybody Else's

Stop comparing yourself to others and work on you.
139

In life, we have a habit of comparing things. This restaurant is better than that one. This movie is funnier than that one. Whatever the two things are, we are quick to form opinions on which one is superior. This is a normal thing that can become dangerous when you start comparing your life to the lives of people around you. No matter what stage you are in life, graduated from college, preparing to graduate, just starting... you can often find that there is someone in the same stage you're in that seems to be superior to you. They look like they have their lives together or that they have all the answers. Maybe they are on the same career path as you but they get more opportunities than you've had. They get more recognition than you do or life just simply appears easier for them. You work hard and you try and you fail, again and again, and again. You second guess yourself and start to wonder if the path you're on is even for you. What's worse is family and friends...

As if you didn't beat yourself up enough about not being where you want to be here come the people you love making you feel worse. At family functions, everyone wants to know your business. "What are you doing this summer?" "What are you going to do with that major?" "Do you have a job yet?" "I think you should do XYZ" Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are trying to help... or maybe they are literally just being noisy. But answering the same questions over and over and not having a better answer every time can make you feel stuck and like a failure. Then your friends. "You sure that's what you want to do?" "I think you should do this not that" "I can't even imagine you doing that" Or they are quick to tell you their accomplishments and though you are happy for them, you want to be able to tell them what you've done too. Me personally, I have a sense of humor and a certain quickness that helps move the conversation along but not everyone has that. Some of you are fed up.

Well, I just want to tell you right now... Stop being mad at them for asking. They are not going to stop until they see something happening. Stop being mad at yourself for being where you are. IT. IS. YOUR. TIMELINE. It's not anyone else's. This is the path YOU were supposed to take. And it's not going to look like your sibling's or your peer's or anyone else's but yours. So, give yourself a break. There is a good chance that even though you are not where you want to be, there is someone who sees you and is thinking "I wish I had what they had." Stop comparing yourself. It just leads to you not appreciating what you've done and acknowledging what you can do. It's not easy, but anything worth it in life isn't.

You are exactly where you are supposed to be. Keep working. Keep believing in you. And one day, they won't have to ask what you're doing... They can read all about it.