It Is Time To Stop Living With Regrets

It Is Time To Stop Living With Regrets

Let go of shoulda, woulda, coulda.
94

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. We've all been there.

We all have those moments, days, and phases that we would do anything to take back. Maybe it was a mistake, maybe it was an opportunity lost, maybe it was a rash decision. Whatever it may have been, you cannot seem to forget about it. It comes back to haunt you and make your mind race in the most inconvenient and unexpected moments. The "what ifs" are louder than anything else.

But, this moment is also over. It is time to let it go.

The most minuscule regrets can ruin a good day and the biggest regrets can drive a train completely off of its tracks. Of course whatever you regret is probably important to you for some reason or another, but it is doing you no good to think about. It is time for you to come to terms with whatever you regret and move on - not to forget about the past, but to live for the present and the future.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Let it go.

I promise that whatever you regret is not life-altering. And anyway, you cannot go back to change it, so why let it ruin your days now? It is okay to have made a few mistakes. Everybody does. One of my personal favorite quotes to help me get past something I wish didn't happen is, "Don't regret anything. At one time it is exactly what you wanted". How can you regret something that you wanted with everything in you? You can't... So don't.

Whatever it takes to let all of your regrets go, do it. Write them all down and fold up the paper to never be read again. Talk about them to come to terms with them. It's very common for other people to have regrets, too so it may be therapeutic for you and someone else to talk things out.

It is important to let go off your regrets, but more importantly to learn from them. No, don't dwell every second on making sure that they never happen again. (Chances are that's what you are already doing.) Just realize what you regret and make it a point to not let it happen again. If you lost a friend, be better to your friends now and make an effort to reach out to those you have lost touch with. If you failed an exam or even a class, study harder. If you didn't take enough photos, start taking more now.

Living with regrets only hurts you. But, living in spite of your regrets and being better because of them makes you better. So, fix your mistakes and live better. Do what you wish you did and don't do what you wish you didn't.

And above all, vow to live with no regrets from this moment on. Do what is right for you and what makes you happy. Life is too short to live with regrets so drop your old ones and don't let yourself make any more.

"Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only good for wallowing in"

-Katherine Mansfield