Vulnerability Should Not Be Seen As A Weakness

Showing Vulnerability Does Not Mean You're Broken

As women we are expected to show vulnerability, but at the same time we get mocked for it.

42

Vulnerability, as women we are supposed to show a lot of it, but when we do, we get told that "we are overdramatic," and that "we are on our periods." Meanwhile, men get ridiculed for even showing a little bit of vulnerability, yet women look for vulnerability in men when it comes to choosing life partners. Society wants us to show the very thing that they mock us for, and it is ridiculous.

Showing vulnerability is not a bad thing, but rather it is taking off your mask in the toughest moments and showing everyone how you feel. It is about trusting people in your worst moments, hoping that they are there for you because you are not yourself. Student Organizations like Delight Ministries and Odyssey Online are encouraging their members to show vulnerability as opposed to what society tells us daily.

Some can show vulnerability all the time, while others have a hard time showing it. For me, I've been going back and forth between the two extremes because I have gotten hurt when I show my vulnerability to the wrong people and in turn cause me to show none even to the right people in my life. Lately, I realized how important showing vulnerability is, a few days ago I had my first breakdown in a public place in four years. I felt broken because I was crying in front of my EIC and President of my Odyssey chapter after realizing that I had four papers due in one day with very little time to work on it. When I cried I felt broken because I can put on my mask very well, but at that moment it fell apart, and I could not hide. Even my red oversized hoodie could not hide my feelings.

I was afraid that my EIC and president saw me as broken, but their reaction changed how I felt about showing vulnerability. They understood and helped me through my trouble, and they even got me Starbucks. It is not wrong to show your vulnerability to others; it is an act of faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust. No matter what others say, don't be afraid to show vulnerability because you can help others express their vulnerabilities and help them understand that they cannot break for showing their feelings. No one is broken for showing feeling and being themselves, it is the act of society that dictates it, but frankly, society has a habit of being wrong and an idiot.