"Isle of Dogs" Proves Wes Anderson Is Still On Top Of His Game

With the colorful stop motion and obscure humor that was portrayed in "Isle of Dogs," Anderson has once again cemented himself as a wonderfully magical indie filmmaker whose movies should be mandatory watching for any film lovers.
61

A film can be used in many different ways and these days it seems that more and more films are being used as mindless, action-driven, non-stop two-hour movies that do not give the viewer anything to think about once they have left the theater. By the end of the week, most viewers have forgotten the plot and half of the actors and the names of the characters that they played.

However, one director - out of a number of different filmmakers - is working to change that. With nine films under his belt (and the first one being released over 20 years ago), Wes Anderson has once again reminded non-casual moviegoers that there is a lot more to movies than most of the garbage that comes out on the big screen nowadays.

Anderson's last film, "The Grand Budapest Hotel," came out in 2014. With a four year gap between movies, you know that his latest film is not something that he has lightly rushed into.

His most recent movie, "Isle of Dogs," is set in a dystopian near-future Japan. The film follows a young boy who goes in search of his dog after the whole species is banished to an island after a canine-flu outbreak. The film's ensemble voice cast includes Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Greta Gerwig, Frances McDormand, Courtney B. Vance, Fisher Stevens, Harvey Keitel, Liev Schreiber, Bob Balaban, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, F. Murray Abraham, Frank Wood, Kunichi Nomura and Yoko Ono.

The movie features a moral at the end of the story. One that can only be described as heartwarming and leaves you with a sense of all is right in this world that you just spent your time getting invested in.

"Isle of Dogs" reminds Anderson fans that he is still at the top of his game and is not planning to leave the movie industry anytime soon. He is able to use the stop motion style that he had debuted in "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and once again use it to his advantage. While some do not like the stop-motion style or while others use it badly, Anderson is able to make it look smooth and beautiful while also keeping some main quirks that come with using stop motions.

With the colorful stop motion and obscure humor that was portrayed in "Isle of Dogs," Anderson has once again cemented himself as a wonderfully magical indie filmmaker whose movies should be mandatory watching for any film lovers. Anderson should become a household name for anybody that is interested in indie film or wants to start exploring film as an art medium more than just a type of storytelling medium.

If you missed this movie, it is still out in theaters and you should immediately go out and watch it as soon as you can. Anderson has a certain style and flair that should be experienced on the big screen but if you miss it, be sure to watch it as soon as possible. It is not a film you want to miss out on.