Paleo Diet

Is the paleo diet all it's cracked up to be?

Here's what happened when I went Paleo for Lent.

337
Photo by Taylor Kiser on Unsplash

I am someone who loves to try new foods, and I am so interested in eating healthy. So, over Lent, I went Paleo for over 40 days. I had so many people ask me about the pros and the cons, and if I would recommend it. The truth is, it's not for everyone, but it is something people should consider trying.

If you're not familiar with the Paleo "lifestyle" (not diet!), it consists of meats, fish, fruit, veggies, nuts (except peanuts), and potatoes/squashes. I put together some things I experienced while being Paleo for 46 days. Here are a few of the things I learned on my "Health Journey".

1. During the first 10 days, you will crave every sweet on Earth.

media.giphy.com

I thought that cutting out added sugar would be easy, but almost everything has sugar added to it. Say hello to black coffee and water, which don't exactly quench your thirst, especially after a hard workout. I remember walking past sweets in the store and nearly having a breakdown because I needed a brownie like my life depended on it.

2. The "Carb Flu" is SO real.

media.giphy.com

Now, the Paleo diet is not necessarily a "low carb diet", but you're not eating the carbohydrates the average American is used to eating. Pretzels, pasta, chips, fries, corn, and bagels are all off limits. You may think you eat pretty healthy already, so it'll be easy for you, right?

WRONG. I was warned about this so-called "Carb Flu", and I thought it wouldn't happen to me. After 24 hours, it hit me, hard. My body went through Skinny Pop and pretzel withdraw. Not to be dramatic, but it really feels like you have the flu because your body is detoxing itself.

3. Your face will radiate.

Without eating any greasy, processed foods, or added sugars, your skin will begin to glow after the first week. I barely had to wash my face, and when I did, I just used Dove soap. It is crazy to see how much food affects your skin.

4. You will get the best sleep of your entire life.

media.giphy.com

If you're noticing that you're tossing and turning all night long, or can't fall asleep, seriously think about changing your diet. I was sleeping for 10 plus hours every night, uninterrupted. I would wake up ready to tackle the day, extremely well rested. This may sound crazy, but it got to the point when I didn't even need coffee in the morning. Crazy I know.

5. Say bye-bye to bloating!

media.giphy.com

Without eating processed sugar, grains, or beans, my stomach was able to process food so much better. I used to struggle with severe stomach cramps after eating, but cutting out a few irritating foods made a huge difference. I could eat my entire meal and not feel uncomfortably full and fluffy.

6. You might turn into an avocado...

media.giphy.com

Okay, not really, but you catch my drift! Fats became my best friend while going Paleo. If you're not going to eat a lot of carbs, you HAVE to up your fat intake! You will never have enough energy if you only eat high protein and vegetables! Do not fear fats; they are delicious and supply your body with so many nutrients. After a few weeks, your body will adapt to using fats as fuel instead of carbohydrates, after your "carb flu" is finally over.

7. No, cauliflower does NOT replace pizza.

media.giphy.com

I'm sure you've heard that cauliflower is the new answer for rice, mashed potatoes, and different types of dough/crusts, but let me tell you, it is a MESS! And by mess, I mean an absolute disaster. Steaming and cutting up the cauliflower will leave little crumbs all over your kitchen, and you will be stepping on its tiny pieces for days, if not weeks!

It is a great substitute for rice, I will admit. But if you're attempting to get a creamy texture for potatoes, or homemade pizza crust, unless you are a skilled chef, do not attempt. I am personally scarred from my experiences of experimenting with this vegetable.

8. Just eat the damn pizza, cookies, etc.

media.giphy.com

Unless you are going Paleo for a medical reason, it is not sustainable. My 46 days being Paleo were amazing, but I missed out on a lot of little memories. I skipped out on birthday cakes and dinners with my friends because I had anxiety over what was going to have added sugar, or butter, or wheat. The health benefits are undeniable, but for me, life is too short.

As my Italian grandmother says, "Everything in moderation!", and she is right. Going Paleo helped me be a little more aware of what is in all the processed foods, but I also can't obsess over it. So, as great as this diet is, and as much as I encourage everyone to give it a try, see how long you can last before you go crazy!