With Today's Growing Healthcare Industry, Is Synthetic Medicine The Way To Go?

Medicine is a changing field where everything is always changing.

6

In today's society, medicine is something that is necessary for all. It is what doctors give us to get over sickness and it is what we take to get over the pain. However, there are so many other alternatives to traditional medicine we eat. Are these alternatives actually safe to take? The debate on whether or not synthetic medicines are safe and what the viability for natural remedies is has been present for as long as anybody can remember. And with the rise in the mistrust of medicine, this debate just keeps on getting more and more heated.

While some question the viability of the natural remedies created, others believe that they produce more harm than good, but there are actually some that genuinely help the body. Take herbal medicine as an example. Herbal medicine, "aims to return the body to a state of natural balance, so that it can heal itself". By healing the body of all harm with herbs, that is healthier than eating the strong medicines we eat usually. In addition, herbal medicine more often than not uses herbs that can be found in your house already, so there is not even any wastage. Some herbs used for this medicine include garlic for reducing the risk of heart disease and ginger for treating nausea. These are probably the most common herbs found in any household, so it is always there when you need it. In addition, "herbs are much less expensive than their human-made counterparts". These human-made counterparts include prescription medicines that the doctor gives you. This even more so proves that herbal medicines are not only harmless to try because there are no side effects except for maybe tasting bad for a second or two, but also the herbs are not wasted.

However, even though herbal medicines have been said to be safer and more efficient there is still some skepticism towards these natural remedies. The skepticism includes the fact that the herbal medicines do not even have to be tested like the over the counter and prescription medicines do. Since they do not have to be tested, people take whatever they want in whatever proportions they seem fit. However, there was a popular brand of homeopathic baby teething tablets that caused the death of ten children because the pills contained too much of the active ingredient. This was taken off shelves in April of 2017. Following this, multiple tests were done on a variety of other homeopathic medicines and it was found that many do not contain the herbs that are advertised and therefore many allergic reactions were caused. These companies are not even required to show that their alternative actually works or not before they are put on shelves. This is a big point that causes many to stay away from these alternatives. Moreover, even though many of the natural medicines do not have side effects, some do raise serious medical concerns. For example, "kava, a plant native to the islands of the South Pacific, and often used as a dietary supplement for anxiety, may be associated with severe liver damage". With these two major points weighing down the creditability of alternative medicines, many people are starting to stay away from them.

In addition, to herbal medicine, there are more natural remedies that help one's body without any side effects and anything made by man. The Ayurvedic form of medicine looks at the host and vulnerability of the disease instead of just the disease alone. This form of natural remedy has proven to be very successful in disease. For example, "A 2011 study found that an Ayurvedic herbal compound was just as effective at treating rheumatoid arthritis symptoms as Trexall". Along with this successful note, it has been proven that the Ayurvedic form of yoga has shown to be beneficial in helping those with heart disease and hypertension by helping to reduce anxiety and improve quality of life. In the end, this form of medicine shows to be promising, but juts like nothing can be too good, this too is likely to have its flaws.

Overall, medicines in today's society serve the purpose to help people. There are many types of medicines ranging from synthetic to natural. These medicines go to show how the medical field is revolutionary, but these also show how the debate between these two major forms with never cease. In addition, even though the herbal forms of medicine are said to be healthier and have no side effects, no one knows if that is actually true. Similar to the fact that no one knows which form of medicine is safer and more viable. Therefore, this debate for medicine will never end.