Is Sorority Recruitment A Game Of Scheming?

2

Sorority Recruitment 2014: Have you done your research? Maybe you shouldn't have.

While talking to my friend who’s approaching her freshman year at the University of Michigan, I wondered what all girls do to prepare themselves for sorority recruitment. I was asking her pretty normal questions like, “what are you majoring in?” “what dorm are you living in?” and “do you know your roommate?” When I asked if she was going to go through sorority recruitment, the whole conversation changed.

All of a sudden, her face lit up and I could feel her excitement. I almost wanted to run away and hide, since I knew she would never stop talking about it now that I had brought it up, but I figured she’d probably dislike that. Once she began talking, I actually felt pretty bad for her. She went on and on about how she already has all her outfits planned out, how she knows exactly what she’s going to talk about, and how she even knows what sorority she wants...If you haven’t gone through recruitment yet, how in the world are you supposed to know what sorority you want? 

Before coming to Penn State, I barely knew what a sorority was. How this girl already knows what sorority she is “destined” to be in, I’ll never understand. I went ahead and asked her if she had considered a particular sorority at Michigan that one of my good friends was in. She responded by saying it was a "weird sorority." I was completely speechless. Who did this girl think she was to start calling sororities "weird" before she had even begun school? 

Has sorority recruitment completely changed for the worse? Are girls more closed-minded now than they were before? I felt so bad for this girl because she was completely blind to the true essence of sorority recruitment. The whole idea behind the process is to be yourself so you can end up in a place where you feel comfortable and accepted. At least that’s what I thought.

I’m not saying that I was perfect in preparing for rush, because I made some silly mistakes that ended up making me the joke of my sorority after bid day. When I was a freshman going through rush, I wore socks with Sperries and almost got cut because of it. How was I supposed to know that wearing socks with Sperries is looked down upon? Needless to say, I avoid wearing socks with Sperries in public now. 

After a lot of thought, I’m still trying to make sense of why this girl is doing everything in her power to be someone she’s not just so she can be associated with girls who probably won’t be her true friends, anyway. Although I may not be the best person to offer recruitment advice, I would really recommend sticking to what you know and do best. It’s too tiring to try to be someone you’re not. If you’re being yourself, you’ll end up in a place where you’re appreciated for who you are.

Stop surfing the Internet for “best sororities” and “coolest sorority girls” because, at the end of the day, we’re all just trying to make real friends and have a good time. And if you do choose to wear socks and Sperries during recruitment, you may become my new best friend.