Is Kanye The Next Socrates?

Is Kanye The Next Socrates?

Kanye is rebelling against the mainstream media.

353
Is Kanye The Next Socrates?
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/05/636610754128892843469996405_Donald_Trump_(24877259689).jpg

Once Kanye West tweeted his political views which favored President Donald Trump, there was bound to be a backlash in the media.

As a result, millions were agitated by Kanye's twitter feed, and they quickly flocked to social media to condemn him. He was labeled "crazy," "mentally ill," and unstable for showing any sort of favoritism towards President Trump. Yet, in response to negative comments, Kanye has only continued to tweet his differentiating political views and stroll the streets with his Make America Great Again hat.

But maybe there's a bigger picture behind Kanye's recent tweets. His ability to speak radically in defiance of everyone else's opinion is asking important questions about free thought. Is Kanye not allowed to think differently? Or is he assumed to think exactly like others within his industry, programmed to a certain train of thought? We all know Kanye is not one who likes to follow the status quo, but does he remind you of someone else? Perhaps a certain Greek philosopher who was arrested and condemned because he thought differently from the majority?

I am not saying that Kanye is the next Socrates, but his resilience to speak freely is awfully similar to the ancient philosopher. But instead of "corrupting the youth" like Socrates, Kanye is rebelling against the mainstream media. The Kanye discussion is not about whether or not he supports Trump; rather, the conversation should be about why we are so quick to demonize someone based on their political views? If Kanye likes Trump, so what? And if he does not, who cares?

It seems like Kanye is more in favor of the idea of Trump, the idea of nonconformism. Kanye is all about defining himself, and his recent tweets have definitely distinguished himself in the world of Hollywood. Other celebrities and friends of Kanye's were willing to step in and give him advice, including Kim Kardashian, his wife, and John Legend. Yet, Kanye has refused his friends' advice, exposing personal texts between him and John Legend to expose how his free thought has been condemned.

If Kanye is the 21st-century version of Socrates, constantly aggravating the majority with his radical opinions, what do his questions say about our society? About our views of free thought, speech, and expression? Are we truly allowed to believe what we want, or do we have to conform to a set regulation of political ideals to be accepted in society? If we don't, who are we to blame? Is it the media, the government, or ourselves? And most importantly, what does this prove about our society, and how can we progress from this point on?