Was My College Choice Right For Me?

I Love Being A #Nole But Sometimes I Wonder If FSU Was The Right Choice For Me

Sometimes you just have to ask yourself, "What if?"

161

Doesn't it blow your mind that one simple action or decision may change your whole life? There are so many different opportunities that are afforded to you, but it all depends on where you are, who you are, and what you are doing. Everything you do makes a difference to your future, whether it's big or small. Sometimes, I just sit down and wonder if I made the right decision, especially when it comes to the college that I decided to attend.

Am I truly happy here? Would I have been happier somewhere else? Would I have been more successful somewhere else? Where would I be now if I chose another school? What if I had gone out of state? What if I stayed closer to home? What I have better grades if I hadn't come here? Would I have made more friends at a different university?

These thoughts are constantly running rampant throughout my mind. I doubt my decision, and believe it or not, I even doubt my achievements from time to time. Humbly so, I'd like to think that I've been very successful throughout my college career. I have multiple leadership positions, I have accrued various scholarships, I joined multiple clubs, I have an amazing GPA, and I even made friends for life. But the question remains, did I make the right decision? Would I have been more successful somewhere else? Would I have been happier somewhere else?

I want to make an important note here, while I do question my decisions every so often, in no way am I saying that I am not enjoying my time at Florida State University. If I had to be honest, I love it here. I love my classes, I love my major, I love my friends, and I have even grown to love the city of Tallahassee (slowly but surely). Regardless, that hasn't stopped me from constantly thinking, "What if?". What if this, what if that... It never ends.

Occasionally, I see my friends from other colleges and universities post about their life and experience on social media. While I hate to admit it, sometimes it makes me doubt my decision even more. It brings up questions of whether or not I would be having as much fun as them. Additionally, it makes me question whether or not I'd enjoy attending that other school instead.

When it all comes down to it, the only thing I can really do is accept my decisions and accept what the future has in store for me. Despite the fact that your actions and decisions may heavily influence your future, it all boils down to the fact that you still don't know. You don't know how it will affect your future. You don't know if you would have been better off taking a different route. I think it's important to acknowledge your own achievements and just be proud of yourself and who you have grown to be in your own, chosen environment. That's the most that anyone can really do.