Do You Really Need A College Degree?

Do You Really Need A College Degree?

To graduate, or not to graduate, that is the question.

6
Do You Really Need A College Degree?
Charles DeLoye

Have you ever just thought to yourself in the middle of the semester, "Is all of this really worth it?" I've been there, done that many times, and while we all, at points, contemplate and question the necessity of a college degree, I'm here to tell you that yes, all of this will be worth it.

With such cutting-edge technology dominating our world, it has become increasingly easier for us to take the opportunity of starting an online business and working from the comfort of our own homes with or without a college education. I see several pages on Instagram that endorse participation in ecommerce and discourage their younger followers to adhere to the status quo and attend college, making the claim that it's a waste of time and money. While it is obvious that ways to earn a profit have greatly expanded with the surge of technology, a college degree is still very much needed. A lot of people will make the argument that success stems from the individual and not necessarily the educational system and that those who don't attend college at all can still be accomplished. There is truth to the idea that success derives from the person, but those who have made it without a college degree are the exception, not the rule. I trust that college gives people the chance to explore different options and provides a safe, low-risk space for college students to discover themselves, fail and figure out what they're truly passionate about. In addition to relevant experience and necessary skills, employers find people with a college degree to be highly desirable, because college does in fact equip students with the appropriate tools and abilities needed by the workforce.

Of course attending college doesn't always guarantee success and achievement in life. What does guarantee success and achievement is what you do with the things that you have learned in college. Turning knowledge into action is the very thing that will enable you to attract success. I personally believe that college is a great investment that offers students an incentive to get up, go to class and learn something of value. Whether you use what you learned is entirely up to you, but working towards a college degree will open many doors and provide insight about the world in which we live.

Another popular point of contention in this debate concerns student loan debt. Is college expensive? It sure is. Do many student resort to taking out student loans? They sure do. The fact of the matter is that it is worth it. Once you receive your college degree, put what you learn to good use and work hard towards getting the job you want, you'll be able to pay it off eventually. No matter the approach, life will always see hard times and financial struggle. You'll always have to work hard, but without a college degree, expect to work harder. A college degree gives people a certain advantage over those who do not attend college. College provides a plethora of opportunities for students to develop desired skills and makes it possible for them to ultimately achieve a high status in life. I like to think of it this way: college gives you the key to potential success and accomplishment, but it's you who has to open that door.