Is America Going To Improve?

Is America Going To Improve?

Why our country can't fix an obvious problem.

9
Is America Going To Improve?
Black Lives Matter Protest

The recent bout of police-caused fatalities reignited the long standing-debate over whether or not there is bias in the police force toward African Americans, and why the police are not held accountable for their actions to the same level everyday citizens are.

The shooting of Philando Castile is one of the more shocking instances of police violence, especially given the video that we have of the event. WARNING: If graphic imagery disturbs you, do not watch the video. It is extremely disturbing and uncomfortable to watch, as it shows the last minutes of this mans life, moments after he was shot by the Minnesota police officer, Jeronimo Yanez. The sequence of events is as follows: Castile was stopped by Yanez for having a tail light out. Yanez then approached the vehicle and, upon noticed that Castile was armed, drew his weapon on Castile. Castile then informed the officer that he was licensed to carry and that he was going to reach for his wallet to show Yanez his ID and license to carry. When Castile reached for his wallet, Yanez discharged his weapon, shooting Castile multiple times in the chest and abdomen. Castile died soon after. This is a prime example of officers stepping far over their limits and using excessive force for a situation that could have been handled much differently.

Eric Garner is another excellent example. He was selling single cigarettes (which is illegal in New York) outside of a store when several NYPD officers approached him and attempted to detain him. During this process, Garner was put into a rear naked choke hold and held down by officers Justin Damico and Daniel Pantaleo. Garner was resisting arrest, so the officers took measures to detain him. That much makes sense. But, when a sergeant from NYPD arrived moments later and told the two officers to let up on Garner, the two men continued to hold Eric down. When paramedics arrived, Garner was not given oxygen, as is recommended for someone who has been choked. Rather, they did a routine check on his vitals and nothing more. This combination of overreaction and lack of action is what caused Garner's death, as the autopsy report stated the cause of death as a combination of lack of oxygen (from the chokehold) and chest compression (from the officer sitting on his chest.) This entire encounter is also on video, though Garner's death is not recorded.

Now, if these events had happened and the public consensus was "these officers clearly acted out of line and should be punished for their actions," well, I wouldn't be writing this article. Actually, the reaction was anything but. In both situations, but especially Eric's there, was a continuing argument for why the officers were justified in doing what they did. Society said statements such as, "He was breaking the law," "He was resisting arrest," "He tried to attack the officer." These are all true statements in Eric's case. However, nowhere - absolutely nowhere - does it say that officers being attacked by an unarmed assailant, can use deadly force. That is not needed, especially here.

These men reacted in such a way that brutal, unneeded force led to the unnecessary death of two men, in scenarios that could have been resolved peacefully. The worst part about this: The two officers that killed Garner have not been prosecuted for their actions. This has been backed by the public perception of Garner's actions warranted the officers ensuing reaction. Absolutely not. In both cases, the officers reacted irrationally and without reserve and in both cases the public outcry has been mixed.

That is the issue here. People are so blind, they will see these videos and defend the officers. That someone, such as myself, who will see these events as the murders that they are, hates cops. That I think Black Lives Matter is more important than Blue Lives Matter. No. I fully support our police force and their efforts, and I don't think any life is better than another. However, the lack of outrage for these events is astounding to me and that needs to change.

Police officers, especially, need to see this for what it is: the murder of two men that did nothing to warrant such violence toward them. The vicious overuse of force to prevent extremely minor crimes. Once we can accept that, once we as a nation can see past the propaganda and hate toward activist groups that are trying to incite change in a society that refuses to see the need, then we can move past these horrific events and begin to make a better country for everyone in it.