#InviteHer is Another Great Start For Feminism In Sports

#InviteHer Should Be Extended To All Sports Not Just Golf

We need to start talking about WOMEN being able to go into traditionally male dominated sports.

119
https://unsplash.com/photos/1X4N6b14aZE
Photo by sydney Rae on Unsplash

Women going into male-dominated sports tends to be a controversial topic, but it shouldn't be. The hashtag #inviteher started with the Women's golf league wanting males to invite women who want to learn how to play golf. It's centered around creating a warm and positive environment for women to safely learn. This campaign should extend to other sports as well. With Golf not being a traditionally popular sport to the public, its great to see that visibility to the problem is starting to be talked about. Females have always been taught to not make mistakes in life and that is an extremely toxic ideal because it discourages trying new things. This kind of toxic behavior needs to be eradicated and women should be allowed to learn new things without societal consequences.

According to Golf Week, "Last year, 35 percent of the game's 2.6 million new players were female and we are confident #inviteHER is a huge step in the right direction to continue increasing this number while making the game more inclusive". This is truly a great step in the direction of equality for all. This campaign should be extended to other sports due to the popularity of other sports among the female population. All it takes is starting the conversation which is what the women's golf league started especially young girls. Young girls are learning about themselves and we should be making sure that they know that they can do anything if they put their mind to it.

If a girl wants to be a football player, let her train to be one. It is her choice of whether or not she wants to put herself against "the big boys." If she is light/speedy and is able to carry a ball, she should be given a chance to score a touchdown. It's the same for women joining the military. Yes, we've been allowed in the military for a while now, but if we can pass the physical tests then why should we need be allowed to hang with the big boys. It all comes down to survival, if we need to do something to survive then we will do it without hesitation and we'll do it with grace. Women are coming into a lot of male-dominated places and that is perfectly fine.

Sports are meant for the public's entertainment and have been for centuries. It shouldn't be wrong if women want to try new things regardless of if we make mistakes. We are human, we make mistakes. Why are men allowed to make mistakes and learn from them and not women? It's because we are supposed to be perfect creatures. That creates a population of women being afraid to try new things. That should never be the case. Mistakes are how we grow. The woman's golf league starting the #InviteHer campaign is the best thing to start the conversation about making women feel more comfortable in trying male-dominated sports and making mistakes along the way.