Oath Of Betrayal's Metal Vibe Doesn't Mean They Can't Make People Feel Things

"What a fucking chach"-Brandon Curry

4516
YouTube

Music has an awesome power to affect people physically and mentally. A lot of musicians use their own experiences to write their music, regardless of the genre. Lots of people forget that of this band, Oath of Betrayal, is looking to show their listeners that just because they're a metal band, doesn't mean they can't be emotional and make people feel things. So I sat down and talked to Brandon Curry, the lead singer of the band to talk about the struggles of trying to make it big in the music industry.

What inspired you to start this band?

Brandon: About four years ago, my friend and I had planned to start a heavy metal band together, and after he died, it just kinda took off. I wanna remember him, and if I just gave it up, I’d be letting him down. (Rest in peace Kenneth Burton, we love you.)

Who were your band’s biggest influences?
Brandon Curry: Screaming: Whitechapel, Suicide Silence

Clean vocal style: it’s always gonna be Corey Taylor

Marcus Shaffer: Metallica, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett

Micah Link: Periphery

Noah Monear: His Father, grandfather, and Chunk! No Captain Chunk!

Justin Banasiak: Yellowcard, Memphis May Fire

How do you deal with conflict in the band?

Brandon: Sometimes it's so difficult; when we had our old drummer, the conflict was mostly like, you know, about the sound, so we’d try to negotiate about the sound and it was never good enough. Now, We all sit down, shut up, and listen to the person who has the problem has to say cause why would we waste time arguing when that takes up so much time. It's so fucking stupid how we used to argue and shit. We’d get into screaming matches and shit.“We all just sit down and shut the fuck up” It’s like a group therapy session.

Do you ever get discouraged?

Brandon: Fuck yes. Oh my god I have people on the daily telling me that this band ain’t going nowhere. I deal with those people every day.

How do you deal with discouragement?

Brandon: I write. I strive to make myself better. I work, and I edit. I try to be the best I can be, and then the next day I try to be better than I was yesterday. I still wake up the next day knowing I’m gonna work my ass off.

How would you describe your songwriting process?

Brandon: It’s um, how do I describe it. It’s like I think of a topic and then I always start with. I never start with the title because I don’t know what it’s called until I start writing. If I start with a title that limits me to like that’s the topic I have to write about I sit down and start thinking about rhyming words that I wanna use. If it's an angry song I'm obviously gonna use more profanity, and more um… angry words I don’t know how to describe it, but angry words. I focus on emotions. Usually, I jot down something stupid for the chorus and come back the next day and edit it.

What inspires you to change genres with your songwriting? (Specifically, writing softer, more ballad-esque music)

Brandon: These songs are my way to cope with things. My softer songs are usually saved for the sadness, and the depression and that sort of thing.

Is there anything that you’re working on that you’d be able to share with us?

Brandon: Yeah! We have our first album that we are working on. It’s gonna be out hopefully by March of next year, might be out before that, might be out after that. We’re working on a new merch line. I’m in the process of writing two new songs, one I may or may not release called “Suicide Note” (Not so fun fact: Suicide Note is actually like, a compilation of suicide notes that Brandon has written throughout his life).

Where has been your favorite place to perform so far?

Brandon: Machine shop. Hands down. I have never felt more at home than I did at the machine shop. It was our first hometown show, and my ears weren’t ringing the next day from the instruments on stage, they were ringing from the cheers and the applause.

Where has been your least favorite place to perform so far?

Brandon: Oh my god, it’s probably the uh… the Maidstone Theater. That place, we had never had a problem before there. I didn’t like playing there cause it was fucking crowded, like, it was so cramped. And the sound guy was so fucked up. He was getting drunk and stoned in the parking lot right before we went on.

Did you ever think you’d make it this far with the band?

*laughter* No I didn’t, honestly, I didn't think we’d make it very far at all. When we first started this band, we were total ass. It’s really weird to think that literally a year and some change ago, we were practicing for some nothing show with literally 30 people. And now in November, a month and some days away, we are playing with one of my all-time favorite bands. Like, hell no I didn’t think we’d make it this far. I had very low expectations because of all this shit people had told me about the industry.

What is your end goal for this band?

Brandon: We're all gonna kill ourselves when we turn 90. *Maniacle Laughter* Just kidding. I wanna be touring with Metallica. In an ideal world, I’d wanna be up there where millions of people come to our shows every year. That is my ideal world.

What advice would you give to someone looking to start a band?

Brandon: Hook up with someone in the industry. If you’re from Flint or Detroit, feel free to hook up with me. The more friends you have in the industry, the better off you’ll be. Make your band a brotherhood, cause if it's not, it’s gonna cause so many problems.Make sure your guys are on the same page. That’s what held us back in the beginning, some of us weren’t on the same page. Don’t take shit from anyone. Make sure your music is something that is gonna touch someone. If it’s not meaningful, it’s not gonna do as well as something else. Help each other. Local music needs to help local music.

So, to check out Oath of Betrayal in person, you can buy tickets to their next concert on their Facebook page by messaging the band itself or Brandon himself. The show is gonna be theHellraiser Fest on October 27th.

Also, the band is putting on a contest to their show with Whitechapel this November. The winner will receive two tickets to the show, and a free hat for the band. To enter the contest, simply screenshot the band's page on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram, and share it on your own social media, with a caption telling people to check out the band, and either screenshot your post, or tag Brandon in it.

Anyone interested in purchasing tickets to the Whitechapel concert this November should message the band facebook page!